Mesa 24.1-rc2 Released With More Graphics Driver Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Interesting. Every now and then I give Vulkan Video Decode a try out of curiosity but it's still failing for me when using my Radeon as of Mesa 24.1-rc1, mpv 0.38 and ffmpeg 6.1.1.

I did get it running with my Nvidia-card (535.161.08) for the first time the other day though, but only with --gpu-context=x11vk, not waylandvk.
    There seems to be a cutoff point somewhere between Sea Islands (GCN 2) and Polaris (GCN 4) cards using Vulkan decode. A Polaris card (RX 480) works with Mesa 23.1.2-1->, FFmpeg 6.1.1-1-> and mpv 0.37->, but the Sea Island ones (R7 260x/360) segfault. I haven't come across any mentions of a specific hardware requirement for AMD cards other than the GPU must support the RADV driver, which should then mean all GCN based cards.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

Yep, vulkan av1 video decode is very very recent, and only implemented in Mesa 24.1 iirc.
      Interesting, will try again with Mesa 24.1 then.

Comment

Originally posted by [TV] View Post

There seems to be a cutoff point somewhere between Sea Islands (GCN 2) and Polaris (GCN 4) cards using Vulkan decode. A Polaris card (RX 480) works with Mesa 23.1.2-1->, FFmpeg 6.1.1-1-> and mpv 0.37->, but the Sea Island ones (R7 260x/360) segfault. I haven't come across any mentions of a specific hardware requirement for AMD cards other than the GPU must support the RADV driver, which should then mean all GCN based cards.
        Yea, I have an R9 Fury (aka. fiji, gfx803, GCN 3.0) so it's somewhat old but not ancient. Been searching through some mesa commits to try and find whether it's supposed to be supported or not but haven't found a good answer yet. Hoping it will work eventually but VAAPI works fine in the meantime.

Haven't bothered making a bug report either because I would like to understand better what is going on first. There are certain complications involved, like I have an Nvidia-GPU and their proprietary driver on the same system and I can't rule out the possibility that there's some conflict there.

I will also mention that the issue doesn't present the same way between h264 and h265. With the former I get a bunch of errors in the terminal and even in my dmesg log. With the latter I actually don't read any errors and there's even a picture coming up while the file plays but it's just a corrupted mess, so it's not really working.

Comment

Working...
        X