Nano 8.0 Text Editor Released With Modern Bindings Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Micro is just a better editor in every single way, including "normal" bindings, other than install size. And it's still only 12.5 MB on disk.

image.png
    In this context anything above 2 MB is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
      However at the same time I am thinking who the hell decided that Ctrl+C/V was sensible for copy paste.

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

It probably made a lot of sense in the early 80s on an Apple.
      C is the first letter of Copy.
      X looks similar to a deletion/crossing (Xing) out of text - it means something different when actually proof-reading.
      V looks similar to an insertion mark marking where to place text when proof-reading a page

X and C, and C and V are adjacent on English keyboards, which also helps with remembering the functionality.

Edit to add: coming from a VAX/VMS background where CTRL-C interrupts a running command procedure, it took a while for me to get used to using it to copy text. I was used to using EDT and EVE/TPU. The origin of using CTRL-X, CTRL-C, and CTRL-V is related in this article:

I’m always fascinated that someone designed just about everything you use, no matter how trivial it is. The keyboard you type on, the light switch you turn on, even the faucet handle. They do…
      Last edited by Old Grouch; 02 May 2024, 05:57 AM. Reason: Give example where CTRL-C does not mean 'cut'

Comment

Of course - especially on Apple which was essentially made for (not necessary by) people that did not like computers. IBM's (and others) CUA was a nice attempt, but we all know what happened....

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

It still does today: C stands for "copy", it's easy to remember. X and V were chosen because they're adjacent to C so you can do the operations with the least amount of finger moving.

Comment

I'm more than happy since I moved from Nano to micro editor. I totally recommend it.

Comment

Hi.
              What if we would like to open testfile:128 instead of testfile and jump to line 128?

Comment

Originally posted by luckylucky View Post
                I'm more than happy since I moved from Nano to micro editor. I totally recommend it.
                Just gave it a try and must say that I think it's much nicer than Nano. Wish distros would make that their default instead.

As a vim user, if I have a chance of installing anything, I'd of course install that, so I won't make much use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                  Wasted space. Everyone should have their text editor shortcuts memorized.
                  Maybe I could memorize them but I am afraid of losing older stuff in my limited brain like who scored four touchdowns in one game at Polk High?

Comment

Originally posted by Lachu View Post
                    Hi.
                    What if we would like to open testfile:128 instead of testfile and jump to line 128?
                    what do you mean? nano doesn't use filename:linenum, it uses "+128 testfile" to open testfile at line 128

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                      Nano serves its purpose and I have used plenty. But in cases where I have it available, for things where it works well I have become a Micro guy myself

https://micro-editor.github.io/
                      That's what I'm using as well. The only downside I experienced was copy & paste from a system I was sshed into. But as far as I know that's my own fault and that could be fixed in some way...

Comment

Working...
                      X