Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post
    This article is brilliant bait.

But I have a different question. What are the XApps everyone uses (outside linuxmint/cinnamon)?
    I use xed when I don't use nano
    gedit is ass slow
    ㄟ(ツ)ㄏ

Comment

Originally posted by Magissia View Post

I use xed when I don't use nano
      gedit is ass slow
      ㄟ(ツ)ㄏ
      xed is a fork of pluma, the MATE text editor (which was a fork of gedit 2).

Its kind of strange to fork a MATE app and then ask them to support the fork. It would have been better to collaborate on pluma.

EDIT - it doesnt look like this was the only MATE app they have forked while their supporters have blamed GNOME for the hostility... END EDIT

btw, are the forks faster than Gedit? why? that seems surprising to me atleast, especially if they are all on gtk3 (which I have not checked - I doubt they are still on gtk2).

and how do they compare to the actual gnome core text editor, gnome-text-editor?
      Last edited by You-; 01 May 2024, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I did not benchmark it in the state of art and I'm calling GNOME text editor slow only based on the time required to be able to interact with the interface when opening big log files. (Start scrolling, opening search bar etc)

Maybe a proper benchmark of every feature would show I'm wrong. In any case, they are both faster to open compared to current popular electron based memory hogs

Comment

Originally posted by logical View Post

Right, that's why every single article on Phoronix that mentions GNOME has the same cabal of non-GNOME users who come out of the woodwork *every single time* to spew the same anti-GNOME vitriol. Yet, it is GNOME that's the problem. Sheesh.
          Unironically yes, that's why there are so many anti-GNOME people.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
            Gnome is a bad fit for people running 2x 30" Monitors at 5120x1600. It just is. The Linux desktop has always lacked applications. It's frustrating that the obsession with reinventing the wheel every few years has come at the expense of application development. Wayland is a necessary change especially for eGPU owners, so was network-manager. Pipewire has been annoying but it looks like we've finally gotten there. The desktop UI did not need to be changed to support any of these technologies. The breakage and sheer pain of the move to Wayland has been incredible. The issues with GNOME vs MATE/XFCE/Cinnamon are more about the GTK2-3 transition and paying off the technical debt of delaying the migration. This is the price of inaction on moving from GTK2 to GTK3. GTK3 is Wayland compatible. I've developed my software for GTK2, GTK3 and GTK4. If they added traditional menus (GTKMenu Functions) back to GTK4 along with tray icons, adoption would be almost universal (and it would be rapid). But by removing those things they have broken the way MATE/XFCE/Cinnamon desktops worked. This basically guarantees that outside of GNOME GTK4 won't be adopted..
            GNOME vs MATE/XFCE/Cinnamon are *never* about the GTK2-3 transition. In fact, the other DEs have all transitioned to GTK3. GTK3 is compatible with traditional desktop. The file chooser dialog is a problem of its own, but mostly okay otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It actually is. If GNOME wants to go out of their way to not play ball with The Others then The Others can go play ball elsewhere with people who behave in a respectable manner. It really doesn't help that the GNOME Organization lets their immature developers get away with calling people stupid incel virgins. The GNOME Organization has become more toxic than the Phoronix Forums. It's no surprise that so many have been walking away from GNOME as of late.
              Lmao. The Gnome devs vs 4chan arc was truly something to behold. 4chan's /g/ (technology) board was getting tired of the Gnome devs being incompetent a**holes so they went to war with them. Focusing primarily around a developer they nicknamed "ebussy foot". If I recall correctly the inciting incident was the Gnome devs response to thumbnails in the file picker.

Comment

Originally posted by LockedPotato View Post

Lmao. The Gnome devs vs 4chan arc was truly something to behold. 4chan's /g/ (technology) board was getting tired of the Gnome devs being incompetent a**holes so they went to war with them. Focusing primarily around a developer they nicknamed "ebussy foot". If I recall correctly the inciting incident was the Gnome devs response to thumbnails in the file picker.
                Heh. That almost makes me wish I visited shady places like that. Almost.

I know exactly who "ebussy foot" is. He's not liked very much around here, either.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Heh. That almost makes me wish I visited shady places like that. Almost.

I know exactly who "ebussy foot" is. He's not liked very much around here, either.
                  It was pretty good. They were trolling every single channel. Github, Mastodon, etc. The Gnome devs actually started going onto 4chan to argue with them directly. If was like half the threads on the board at one point.
                  Last edited by LockedPotato; 02 May 2024, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Gnome is a bad fit for people running 2x 30" Monitors at 5120x1600. It just is. [...]
                    That's why I run GNOME on dual 32" 4k monitors.

Comment

Gnome is a bad fit for people running 2x 30" Monitors at 5120x1600. It just is.
                      I dont have two monitors, but I have one that is 5120x2160 (so very similar to that resolution). AFAIK It is quite similar a setup to what some gnome designers use.

It works very well. On Gnome. With no functional extensions that change the experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X