Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Amarok 3.0 Music Player Released After Six Year Hiatus - Now Ported To Qt5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Discover is dysfunctional by design. It's like the brain child of Picasso and Ionesco. The sooner you put some distance between you two, the better you'll be.
    Yes, I know and don't understand how Ubuntu could package this thing that crashes every time I close it.
    But the point isn't Discover here as it would work, if the people responsible for the release would have given a thought about the majority of users.

ngraham why isn't a newly released KDE application available on Flathub by the time of the release message?
    Why isn't there a KDE repository for the most used distribution and version to easily get the newest KDE releases?
    We don't talk about snaps...

It's a frustrating user experience to read about the new shiny and having to resort to a VM to be able to "use" it and having to wait years for it to trickle down.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
      Note: For example, a PPA from one of the Amarok developers has existed for years, so people have been able to use it daily for a long time with Qt5.
      But that was not the stable release.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

I was looking into porting KRegExpEditor from Qt 3 last summer. It was too big a gap. Qt 3 days was a different time, man.
        And also a bit unnecessary, if you have a webpage like regex101

But in principle, maybe you can cut out the basic code idea and put it into a new project?

Comment

AMAROK !
          Thank you new dev.
          Major nostalgia for me and I will be installing soon. Brings back great memories!

Comment

It's great amarok is back! Looking forward to trying it out. Someone a few comments back mentioned winamp... which reminds me of another excellent music app for qt/kde which is qmmp. It has a basic interface and also can use winamp like skins - plus the fact it full featured. You add on the features you want to use via it's plugin interface.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

ngraham why isn't a newly released KDE application available on Flathub by the time of the release message?
              Why isn't there a KDE repository for the most used distribution and version to easily get the newest KDE releases?
              We don't talk about snaps...

It's a frustrating user experience to read about the new shiny and having to resort to a VM to be able to "use" it and having to wait years for it to trickle down.
              Probably it needs updating and testing. KDE has maintained Nightly Flatpaks of some of their software for a while now if you want the changes immediately:

Amarok isn't on that list though. I think they only build Nightly Flatpaks for stuff that's properly hooked up to their CI.

Comment

Hopefully drag and drop from the albums view window to the playlist will be restored in 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post

Amarok isn't on that list though. I think they only build Nightly Flatpaks for stuff that's properly hooked up to their CI.
                  Thanks for the link.

I'm criticizing the release and announcement process, in which nightly builds are probably not interesting to regular users.
                  It's just not computing; how can you announce a new release and don't ensure, that the majority of your potential users have an easy, as possible, way to access the new version?​

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    the star rating system inadequate and typrically doesn't write to the file.
                    I do not want my music player to write my files to store non-interoperable meta-data on it, I'd rather sync the sqlite db file?

Comment

Working...
                    X