Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Amarok 3.0 Music Player Released After Six Year Hiatus - Now Ported To Qt5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok was amazing. Then when it no longer was maintained I looked around for new players. Clementine somehow never fit the bill, Elisa at the time was super bare bones, Rythmbox was downright annoying to use, Ended up settling on Cantata as the least annoying alternative. Later on moved to Strawberry.

But, honestly, I will try Amarok again, as it was the only player that had a play random album feature.
    I logged a feature request with a few players for that, but they all just got ignored.

Seriously, I want to listen to an album at a time. Listening to an Album in-order is the way to go.
    Sigh

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
      Next thing someone's going to revive kppp?
      You are joking but KPPP did come back at one point.

I had in in regular use back in the days of land line dial-up modems and then didn't use it for years technology moved to better alternatives.

However at some point USB based mobile internet modems appeared and KPPP was back in business for a couple of years

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        the ID3? data set felt limiting
        Most software uses ID3v2.3, that supports custom tags and UTF16. There is 2.4 (multiple values per tag and UTF8) but it's hardly supported by any hardware player. If you're not limited to MP3 you could have a look at vorbis comment.
        But I'm far away from those over loaded players, Audacious is my player of choice for it's simplicity.

Comment

I'm on a KDE Plasma variant of the probably most used Linux distribution and version and if I follow the release announcement to the install button (appstream://org.kde.amarok.desktop) it I get:

Screenshot_20240430_094847.png

Sorry, but this has to stop as this paper cuts deep for new users.

PS: Ubuntu 22.04.4 main, restricted, universe and multiverse, Flatpak and Snap are configured...

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            Amarok was amazing. Then when it no longer was maintained I looked around for new players. Clementine somehow never fit the bill, Elisa at the time was super bare bones, Rythmbox was downright annoying to use, Ended up settling on Cantata as the least annoying alternative. Later on moved to Strawberry.

But, honestly, I will try Amarok again, as it was the only player that had a play random album feature.
            I logged a feature request with a few players for that, but they all just got ignored.

Seriously, I want to listen to an album at a time. Listening to an Album in-order is the way to go.
            Sigh
            The way the publisher intended 🫣

I'm the same. Whole albums. So many bands put together an album and left out twice as many musical chapters to make a whole sonic book which reads better with less.

My first experience was for this was weirdly enough, Queen Greatest Hits II and RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magick, and made me look for more.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
              I'm on a KDE Plasma variant of the probably most used Linux distribution and version and if I follow the release announcement to the install button (appstream://org.kde.amarok.desktop) it I get:

Screenshot_20240430_094847.png

Sorry, but this has to stop as this paper cuts deep for new users.

PS: Ubuntu 22.04.4 main, restricted, universe and multiverse, Flatpak and Snap are configured...
              You're using Discover and trying to blame someone else? That's rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                Sure, if that's the kind of time frame you're aiming for.

Next thing someone's going to revive kppp? Or how about phonon-xine?
                I was looking into porting KRegExpEditor from Qt 3 last summer. It was too big a gap. Qt 3 days was a different time, man.

Comment

I still miss Amarok 1.4 from time to time.

Comment

Somewhat sad to bring out KF5 based App just when everyone is switching to KF6, ... :-/ https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2131786437

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                      Somewhat sad to bring out KF5 based App just when everyone is switching to KF6, ... :-/ https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2131786437
                      To get to KF6, you first have to port to Qt 5, then Qt 6. The jump to Qt 6 is rather easy: »the goal being to have a usable Qt6/KF6 based beta version in 2024 still«.

Comment

Working...
                      X