Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Amarok 3.0 Music Player Released After Six Year Hiatus - Now Ported To Qt5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Amarok 3.0 Music Player Released After Six Year Hiatus - Now Ported To Qt5

Phoronix: KDE's Amarok 3.0 Music Player Released After Six Year Hiatus - Now Ported To Qt5

Released back in March of 2018 was the Amarok 2.9 music player for this KDE project. Shipping today is finally Amarok 3.0 as the first major release in six years and now ported to Qt5 and KDE Frameworks 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's been a long time, I forgot -- can I undock the boxes and move them around?

That's pretty cool although I found some of the music players from that time to feel like an "Airplane Cockpit".

I really wish music players organized music by tags -- the ID3? data set felt limiting, the star rating system inadequate and typrically doesn't write to the file.

I wouldn't mind seeing a renaissance in the offiline music player space as the Internet gets dumber each year.

Comment

Wonderful news. The best of the best!

Comment

Shipping today is finally Amarok 3.0 as the first major release in six years and now ported to Qt5 and KDE Frameworks 5
        Interesting. The development of Amarok 3.0 needed six year. And it is now ported to Qt5.
        Meanwhile there already existing Qt 6.7 and KDE 6.

Comment

They did manage to beat GIMP 3.0 to shipping...
          Sure, if that's the kind of time frame you're aiming for.

Next thing someone's going to revive kppp? Or how about phonon-xine?

Comment

Note: For example, a PPA from one of the Amarok developers has existed for years, so people have been able to use it daily for a long time with Qt5.

Comment

I miss Amarok. Are there any flatpak images for version 3?

Don't give me hope! "the goal being to have a usable Qt6/KF6 based beta version in 2024 still"

Comment

While some disliked the complete facelift done in Amarok 2, I did liked it. It still has the best playlist view of all players I had tested. A feature I missed so much was a reliable "show the current track" in the playlist on other players. Some that did it, I find it to be unreliable, often failing to do so (looking at you Clementine).

I had to settle with Clementine, but to me it was just a step back in usability, and now the project had slowed down just like Amarok did years ago.

Lets hope this new release grabs the attention of distro maintainers, so Amarok can go back to be in the main repos of most distros out there.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  I had to settle with Clementine, but to me it was just a step back in usability, and now the project had slowed down just like Amarok did years ago.
                  Tried Strawberry yet?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    While some disliked the complete facelift done in Amarok 2, I did liked it. It still has the best playlist view of all players I had tested. A feature I missed so much was a reliable "show the current track" in the playlist on other players. Some that did it, I find it to be unreliable, often failing to do so (looking at you Clementine).

there.
                    If you are using Clementine, you might want to check out Strawberry.

Strawberry is a music player and music collection organizer for Linux, macOS and Windows. It is aimed at music collectors and audiophiles. With Strawberry you can play and manage your digital music collection, or stream your favorite radios.

Comment

Working...
                    X