openSUSE Leap 15.6 RC Brings Cockpit Web Based Server Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swastika View Post
    Source? SUSE announced a fork but not a clone.
    Is there a difference?

They announced that they would be following in Alma's, Rocky's, et al footsteps, fork, clone, whatever, it's a rebranded Red Hat.

Hopefully they will call it Green Hat,

What is taking them so long?

Comment

I'm a Cockpit fan boy. I like it's modular nature that allows Fedora to (eventually) implement their OS installer as a separate module. That module would never be found on a deployed system. My favorite extra modules are the Containers, VMs, storage management, and performance recording modules. I just wish there was a noVNC or guacamole (for RDP) module that would let me login to the graphical session of a remote system via the browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        ...My life would be perfect if there was a control panel which describes the state of the system through code
        Something like Cockpit for Guix?

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

Something like Cockpit for Guix?
          Somethings like that

I'm mostly interested in containers and vms
          Last edited by Kjell; 30 April 2024, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Is there a difference? They announced that they would be following in Alma's, Rocky's, et al footsteps, fork, clone, whatever, it's a rebranded Red Hat.
            Yes of course, a clone is very different from a fork. They specifically did not say they will follow Alma or Rocky model but instead were forking it. FYI, Alma also said they no longer want to exactly match RHEL. Only Rocky is attempting to do that at this point.

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            What is taking them so long?
            What's the rush? It's not likely you are going to be a paying customer. If you merely want a "clone", use one of the others.

Comment

I miss WebYaST

Comment

Yes of course, a clone is very different from a fork. They specifically did not say they will follow Alma or Rocky model but instead were forking it. FYI, Alma also said they no longer want to exactly match RHEL. Only Rocky is attempting to do that at this point.
                I just want to see their version of Red Hat and laugh at the irony when it ends up being better than SLED.

What's the rush? It's not likely you are going to be a paying customer. If you merely want a "clone", use one of the others.
                In all fairness no one is going to be paying for it, that's the whole point of these RH clones/forks/whatever, to avoid Red Hat's licensing fees.

Comment

Working...
                X