Ubuntu Isn't Yet Recommending GNOME's VRR Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

Ubuntu regularly ships package versions not found in any debian release channel, including sid. It could've easily been in this release, they just wisely decided against it for an lts release.
    This is true for single packages or Canonical-based software, but such a big project like KDE 6 must be first well-defined in Debian.

According to the Kubuntu developers this is the reason because 24.04 ships with KDE 5.27 LTS:
    "24.04 will almost certainly ship with Plasma 5.27 LTS for stability, as it is a LTS.

Also a lot of the work to get Qt6 based frameworks/plasma hasn't even started in Debian yet, which is where some of the more fundamental work (source package naming and acceptance) really has to be done. We (Kubuntu) often package ahead of Debian in versions, but with this big a switch it is inadvisable and could cause technical problems/headaches."
    Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/com...7_or_plasma_6/

Comment

I enabled VRR after upgrading to Ubuntu 24.04 and have been using it for a few days. I tested Cyberpunk 2077 and Dying Light with the FPS display on my monitor enabled to see it in action. Works amazing so far, haven't had any issues with it on my 6700XT.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        Ubuntu: ships LTS with GNOME full of buggy features
        Also Ubuntu: KDE 6? Not on my watch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
        A experimental feature that on purpose not yet exposed in the UI by default plus some Ubuntu out of tree patches break. Gnome really full of buggy features lol.

Comment

When you think about it, it all makes perfect sense.

Red Hat has shown that it is a technology leader by deploying only Wayland and already KDE6.

Canonical, on the other hand, allows you to sail comfortably in the waters of Long Term Support (X11, KDE5).
          And those who want newer stuff simply switch to Backports later.
          I also read a developer post in February that they are planning for KDE6 by 2024/12.
          It would make sense.
          Kubuntu 24.10 with KDE6 appears first. And then it wades into the waters of LTS Backports.

The main thing is that there is something to choose from.

Even the new OpenSuse Leap 15.6 has KDE5.
          And those who want a newer one, deploy Slowroll or Tumbleweed.​
          Last edited by Rovano; 30 April 2024, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            Ubuntu: ships LTS with GNOME full of buggy features
            Also Ubuntu: KDE 6? Not on my watch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
            The upstream bug referred to is not really a gnome bug, it's an AMD bug, and if affects all wayland compositors, and it is an old bug. However, AMD has some patches which are reported to work.
            as for gnome bugs, 46.1 is not in 24.04 yet, but it will come. LTS users are supposed to migrate at the 24.04.1 release, gnome will be 46.3 by then. If you want a gnome 46 right now, it doesn't matter what distribution you choose.

Comment

Working...
            X