• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    xf86-input-keyboard
    M: Alan Coopersmith
    S: Maintained for non-Linux systems, support removed for Linux systems​
    ​
    So you found the proof of what I said: Alan is not listed as "Xorg maintainer" since there is no such thing. Instead he is specifically listed as a maintainer of the keyboard component but only for non-linux systems

Comment

Originally posted by swastika View Post

So you found the proof of what I said: Alan is not listed as "Xorg maintainer" since there is no such thing. Instead he is specifically listed as a maintainer of the keyboard component but only for non-linux systems
      you seem to have forgotten to read the first line of the article

Longtime X.Org maintainer Alan Coopersmith with Oracle released
      what do you think a maintainer is? I know the wayland lot generally just sit around doing nothing but argue with each other since it became obvious wayland was dead, but there is a bit more to it than that.

to see who is actively maintaining stuff you click on the commits link, e.g.
      C interface to the X Window System protocol, which replaces the traditional Xlib interface.
      Last edited by mSparks; 30 April 2024, 06:03 PM.

Comment

you seem to have forgotten to read the first line of the article

what do you think a maintainer is? I know the wayland lot generally just sit around doing nothing but argue with each other since it became obvious wayland was dead, but there is a bit more to it than that.

to see who is actively maintaining stuff you click on the commits link, e.g.
        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...commits/master
        You do realize that "longtime maintainer" and "current maintainer" can be two entirely different things, right? Longtime does not imply current.

People can be a longtime anything, but not currently be fulfilling the role in question.

Music analogy: Jason Newstead is a longtime member of Metallica. He is not a current member of Metallica.

Comment

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post

You do realize that "longtime maintainer" and "current maintainer" can be two entirely different things, right? Longtime does not imply current.

People can be a longtime anything, but not currently be fulfilling the role in question.

Music analogy: Jason Newstead is a longtime member of Metallica. He is not a current member of Metallica.
          Sure.

Admit Im struggling with the relevence or importance tho.

He is clearly a longtime and current xorg maintainer, and a valuable, respected member of the Linux and Solaris communities.

Comment

Sure.

Admit Im struggling with the relevence or importance tho.

He is clearly a longtime and current xorg maintainer, and a valuable, respected member of the Linux and Solaris communities.
            I mean, I have no idea what he maintains. Actually don't care, tbh. Just saying that one doesn't have to equal the other. A lot of people make that assumption, but it's not true. Mostly because English is weird, man.

Comment

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post

I mean, I have no idea what he maintains.
              link to examples is in the post directly above yours....

The issue being discussed was the baseless claims X11 isnt maintained, Alan Coopersmith is one of many key people currently maintaining it and related projects.

Comment

Working...
              X