xconsole 1.1 Released - Preparing For Post-Y2038 Support, 18 Years After v1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

You commented on a phoronix article without even reading the first line of the article.

Congrats, you won the internet today.
    Xorg ! = Xorg server. Alan was release manager way back in 2012. He is not involved in any of Xorg server development anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by swastika View Post

Xorg ! = Xorg server. Alan was release manager way back in 2012. He is not involved in any of Xorg server development anymore.
      right, that's why he was making commits to it in March of this year to it I guess.

Comment

right, that's why he was making commits to it in March of this year to it I guess.
        Yep. A couple of doc commits doesn't make him Xorg server maintainer. Go ahead and ask him.

Comment

Yep. A couple of doc commits doesn't make him Xorg server maintainer. Go ahead and ask him.
          far more than that, let me guess you are only looking at the xorg-server repository (that afaik just does the user and connection management) rather than the multiple X11 repositories like XCB that actually impliment and expand the X11 protocol and is what actually gets used.
          Last edited by mSparks; 30 April 2024, 03:33 PM.

Comment

far more than that, let me guess you are only looking at the xorg-server repository (that afaik just does the user and connection management)
            Incorrect but none of the commits makes him a Xorg xserver maintainer. Developers including me commit to plenty of projects where we aren't maintainer so showing me commits prove nothing unless the commit is him adding himself to a maintainers file. Show me a public source where he says he is a Xorg Xserver maintainer and not just a Solaris ports maintainer and I will trust that. Otherwise, we have nothing further to discuss.

Comment

Incorrect but none of the commits makes him a Xorg xserver maintainer..
              He's an xorg maintainer, that gives them responsibility for, you know, xorg projects.

xorg-server doesn't get much if any commits because (unlike wayland) the server side is a solved problem from the OS perspective, nothing gets added because there is nothing to add. Users, graphics drivers and input devices can connect, securely, X11 protocol gets served - what more do you want from a server?

There is then the whole other aspect of giving applications access to display hardware, which is highly and actively developed for X11 - that wayland hasn't even started yet, which is the client side. All the stuff you need to build an application to actually connect to the server, which is fundamentally what is important (and has nothing to do with xorg-server).

e.g.
              C interface to the X Window System protocol, which replaces the traditional Xlib interface.
              Last edited by mSparks; 30 April 2024, 04:34 PM.

Comment

He's an xorg maintainer, that gives them responsibility for, you know, xorg projects.
                That's not how Xorg works and there is no such that as "Xorg maintainer" and Alan does not call himself that either obviously. Each component has its own maintainer in Xorg ever since they became modular after forking from XFree86. ​

Comment

That's not how Xorg works and there is no such that as "Xorg maintainer" and Alan does not call himself that either obviously. Each component has its own maintainer in Xorg ever since they became modular after forking from XFree86. ​

which of those specifically are you talking about?

Comment

which of those specifically are you talking about?
                    What are YOU talking about? Each of components has their own maintainer listed there. Where does it say Alan is "Xorg maintainer"?

Comment

Where does it say Alan is "Xorg maintainer"?
                      e.g.
                      Xorg server
                      S: Maintained, for now
                      F: hw/xfree86

XCB (libxcb, xcbproto)
                      S: Maintained

xf86-input-keyboard
                      M: Alan Coopersmith
                      S: Maintained for non-Linux systems, support removed for Linux systems​
                      Last edited by mSparks; 30 April 2024, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X