xconsole 1.1 Released - Preparing For Post-Y2038 Support, 18 Years After v1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    "Old OS support" - I was under the impression that AIX and HP-UX were still actively maintained Unix OSes? Is that no longer the case?
    Also, the only OS I've ever seen make use of the Xconsole is OpenBSD on their XDM login prompt and inside the default FVWM2 window manager session. I've never seen a Linux distro display the Xconsole before?
    I remember xconsole from the Debian distro early 2000:s

Comment

Some Phoronix users ability to turn every article containing a word starting with the letter "x" into a Wayland versus Xorg flame is astonishing.

xHats off!

Comment

Is this in any way different than doing cat /dev/console?

Comment

Originally posted by swastika View Post

Nonsense. Active maintenance often involves new features. Your experience seems limited to mostly dead projects.
          Active maintenance is a very different thing than feature development. I mean, the definition.... "cause or enable (a condition or state of affairs) to continue." or "provide with necessities for life or existence.".... develop involve 'growing'. RHEL7 will be hitting this state soon as an example of 'not dead yet' but 'not growing'.

A dead project on the other hand DOES NOT still get the occasional maintenance release.

xorg is not dead yet, (best monty python impersonation here) but all the active developers have moved away from it, and most active distro developers have moved away from it, and most of the community is moving away from it and you're not going to move away from it but that's ok, just don't expect new features.

Also, nick Swastika? really? 'taking it back' or something?

Comment

Originally posted by panikal View Post
            Also, nick Swastika? really? 'taking it back' or something?

Comment

active maintenance is a very different thing than feature development. I mean, the definition.... "cause or enable (a condition or state of affairs) to continue." or "provide with necessities for life or existence.".... Develop involve 'growing'. Rhel7 will be hitting this state soon as an example of 'not dead yet' but 'not growing'.

A dead project on the other hand does not still get the occasional maintenance release.

Xorg is not dead yet, (best monty python impersonation here) but all the active developers have moved away from it, and most active distro developers have moved away from it, and most of the community is moving away from it and you're not going to move away from it but that's ok, just don't expect new features.

Also, nick swastika? Really? 'taking it back' or something?
              Hello Polly!!!! Wake up Polly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                Is this in any way different than doing cat /dev/console?
                This adds the X factor!

Comment

Thank godness the latest T2 release w/ X is y2038-safe ;-) https://t2sde.org/releases/24.5

Comment

A dead project on the other hand DOES NOT still get the occasional maintenance release.
                    Xorg is not dead yet, (best monty python impersonation here) but all the active developers have moved away from it, and most active distro developers have moved away from it, and most of the community is moving away from it​
                    That's part of what I was getting at. Xorg server does not have a maintainer anymore. The only reason it does any new releases at all is because of the work done for XWayland and codebase it shares with the same developers working on both releases. Since you understand and accept that, we are in agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by swastika View Post

Xorg server does not have a maintainer anymore.
                      You commented on a phoronix article without even reading the first line of the article.

Congrats, you won the internet today.

Comment

Working...
                      X