Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Enabling "Fast CPPC" For Even Greater Linux Performance & Power Efficiency On Some CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post

You can check if cppc support is present with "lscpu | grep cppc" on Zen4.
    It should be exposed.

These additonal options in the BIOS, like ASROCK has (Prefer Cache, Clock, ...) might not present on ASUS.

Besides that, very interesting addition to the kernel. Im wondering why this came quite late, maybe preparing for the Zen5 Release.
    My 7950X3D seems not to have support for it, checking lscpu.
    On my Pro WS X570-ACE I've had to enable force enable XAPIC, but not X2APIC because that breaks the acpi tables and results in an error in amd-pstate about a missing _CPC object.

Does "dmesg" show anything about pstate?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

if I run $ stress --cpu 1 I see the process joggle between random cores instead of being pinned which is why I suspect CPPC is bust with my ASUS X670-P motherboard.​

Same can be observed while compiling with 8 cores (-j8), it looks like there isn't any structure as to which cores are being utilized. Ideally I'd like to see applications share L3 cache inside the same core complex (CCX0: 0-7,16-23 /or/ CCX1: 8-15,24-31) for lowest latency (which should be beneficial to gaming).

lstopo.png

https://i.imgur.com/V2t0oqj.png

Pinning is supported with Feral's gamemode tool:
      I can't find any article in the site, and the benchmarks for the AMD 7950X3D do not mention it any were (at least that I could find), but GameMode now supports automatic pinning and parking with CPU detection for AMD's latest 3d V-Cache enabled processors. It's available since version 1.8 (released back in December):

I've tested in on s-tui, some games and even compiling (appending the gamemoderun command in front), and it worked fine for me.

Comment

6% perf-per-watt is a pretty nice gain for a laptop use case! Hoping my Framework 13 will support this. 😀

Comment

Working...
        X