No announcement yet.

Rust-Based Coreutils 0.0.26 Increases Compatibility With GNU Coreutils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory safety is nice, but I'm somehow concerned that to build this it has almost 300 dependencies. I'm not sure that is a win for security.

Comment

I have interpolated that line, without adding a saturation curve.
      Then it will not be finished this year. But next year it will be.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post

It's a shame its not compatible with grep. I sometimes find myself needing to look up the options for Ripgrep, for example
        Code:
        grep -o
        is
        Code:
        rg --no-line-number --only-matching
        or
        Code:
        rg -oN
        which is not only longer to type out but I'm going to forget it sometimes.

There is value in tools like Uutils that try to maintain compatibility with their GNU counterparts. I would love to see a grep utility that utilises Ripgreps core while keeping the options the same as GNU's.
        I'm not gonna lie, compatibility is nice. But so is ripgrep.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
          Memory safety is nice, but I'm somehow concerned that to build this it has almost 300 dependencies. I'm not sure that is a win for security.
          Audit Cargo.lock for crates with security vulnerabilities

A Simple and Comprehensive Vulnerability Scanner for Containers and other Artifacts, Suitable for CI

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
            Compatibility and memory safety are cool and all (and memory safety has become a hot topic with the related gnu libc project) but what I'd really like to start seeing is a measurement of whether the rust uutils are leveraging rust's easy multithreading for speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.
            I havent benchmarked uutils for speed, but I have benchmarked the "rust alternatives" things like ripgrep, erdtree etc. and they are usually faster. I wish more were properly syntatically compatible but it's not super important for me

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

First you need functionality before you can start speeding up functionality.
              As I recall, there have been some speed ups reported for some of the use cases.

Comment

Although reason tells me that rewriting with rust may improve performance compatibility and maintainability. But some people clamoring to rewrite everything with rust does make me a bit annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by wangling View Post
                  Although reason tells me that rewriting with rust may improve performance compatibility and maintainability. But some people clamoring to rewrite everything with rust does make me a bit annoyed.
                  I guess it makes sense for an open source project with mainstream appeal to say which language it's written in. Of course with things like Fedora's reproducible build tool that hardly anyone will ever fork or try patching, announcing that it's in Rust just makes me feel "so what?".

But you have to give it to them, it's a brilliantly executed viral marketing campaign. Marketing is important. Rust wouldn't be where it is today without it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    But you have to give it to them, it's a brilliantly executed viral marketing campaign. Marketing is important. Rust wouldn't be where it is today without it.
                    I wouldn't really say that's true. Rust is a very natural progression for a lot of people. Aside from "getting the name out there" rust would have taken over anyways since memory safe languages are taking over, and rust is IMO the most ergonomic and performant ecosystem around

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I wouldn't really say that's true. Rust is a very natural progression for a lot of people. Aside from "getting the name out there" rust would have taken over anyways since memory safe languages are taking over, and rust is IMO the most ergonomic and performant ecosystem around
                      I'm not an advertising or marketing expert, but my gut feeling is that it only feels natural because people know about it. If people didn't hear about "XYZ is written in Rust", "ABC will be rewritten in Rust" etc. every day, they wouldn't consider it as a real option for their own projects. Rust could very easily have remained another language that's interesting on paper but with little to no industrial relevance if it wasn't deliberately pushed into the spotlight. That they made that effort is a very commendable and positive thing, the days of "if you just make a compiler, they will come" are long gone. Walter Bright, the creator of Dlang, is on record saying that the fact that he wasn't able to better market his language is what he considers his biggest failure.

Comment

Working...
                      X