No announcement yet.

GNOME Foundation To Focus On Fundraising After Years Running A Deficit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The second I see a meaningful commitment that the money will not be used to advance hostile social politics and deliberate racism, is the second I consider donating money to the GNOME Foundation again.
    I am pleased that they do fund some legitimate and productive development efforts, but like most projects of its kind, there is no real defense against the funds being misused to intentionally harm the demographics most interested in supporting the project.

This is not a unique problem for them, but that doesn't make it okay.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      The second I see a meaningful commitment that the money will not be used to advance hostile social politics and deliberate racism, is the second I consider donating money to the GNOME Foundation again.
      I am pleased that they do fund some legitimate and productive development efforts, but like most projects of its kind, there is no real defense against the funds being misused to intentionally harm the demographics most interested in supporting the project.

This is not a unique problem for them, but that doesn't make it okay.
      Politics is peanuts. It took them 15 years to implement icons in filepicker, which is a feature the users asked for. With that level of regard for their users I wouldn't hire them.

Comment

HTH can this shitty desktop environment that continuously removes features because they're "teh too hard to maintain" need more monies? Meanwhile Plasma... and to a lesser extent some of the other lesser DEs?

More importantly HTH can GNOME that gets paid shit tons of monies to remove features and has fucktons of corp paid employees working on it lose fucking monies?! (Well other than it sucks and no one wants to really use it...)

[EDIT]

Dear GNOME foundation,

I have the solution. Remove yet MOAR features, that way you need fewer devs and your costs will drop even further...

sincerely,

someone who cannot stand our way or the highway GNOME DE

[/EDIT]
        Last edited by cutterjohn; 26 April 2024, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
          I for one, would dare not entertain these questions. It will distract them from destroying themselves.
          Last edited by rmoog; 26 April 2024, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post

I for one, would dare not entertain these questions. It will distract them from destroying themselves.
            you are correct, I should delete my comment... before they get grandiose ideas...

[EDIT]

...and yes, I realize that the monies are for their auxiliary applications, but whoring out to corps still applies IMNHO... no monies for GNOME in any way shape or form, until they shape up and listen to users, rather than their corp overlords miminimalist desktops..

Hell back in the day I USED GNOME2 OVER KDE {whatever it was, must not use '<'}, but I also used XFCE, blackbox(IIRC)_.
            fluxbox, enlightenment etc. trying to find the right lightweight DE for my old pismo running yellowdog... until a screwdriver got spilt on it an kilt it... that is, but that's another story...

[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]

Holy HELL! As I scroll down the news, I see sovereign tech fund give GNOME monies and they're still whining for MOAR monies?! what it costs that much monies to REMOVE features?!

[/EDIT2]
            Last edited by cutterjohn; 26 April 2024, 09:31 PM.

Comment

If they made an Open Collective so it was transparent how the money was being used I would donate to them.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
                If they made an Open Collective so it was transparent how the money was being used I would donate to them.
                Free travel to hot summer countries, free stay at hotel, free booze, you name it:

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  In a free and open source world everything is still about money, who would have predicted
                  There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleoneraptor View Post

There's no such thing as a free lunch.
                    There are too many of them. at least half must be removed because they are a HR burden!

Ah Greece...

Comment

For me Gnome can go f* themselves, specially ebussy and Matthias Clasen

Moreover...

Revenue $2mil
                      Engineer Payroll: $1mil
                      Black people and Women in Tech NGO Donations: $5mil
                      Aella gangbangs: $1mil
                      Last edited by Mario Junior; 03 May 2024, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X