Microsoft Open-Sources MS-DOS 4.0 Under MIT License

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocturnal64 View Post

Bullshit. For example, all the Games for Windows games stopped working many years ago. They even won’t work anymore if you install the legacy Windows of the era. And software like ClassicShell (which provides a sane, ad-free start menu) might stop working even within the lifecycle of the given Windows version.

[edit] Also, most of the games I purchased in the past, tend to work better on Linux than on Windows nowadays…

Originally posted by bezirg View Post

This is not correct. Do you actually know that there are gamers that want to play older games (for nostalgia or other reasons) and they resort to Linux+Wine because these old games do not run at all on Windows 8/10/11?
    I've never said it was perfect but it exists. Windows 64 doesn't support Win16 applications either. It's a known shortcoming.

ClassicShell plugs into unsupported features and hidden APIs, that's beside the point.

Comment

Please KONAMI, do the same and release the source code for dxmn Silent fxcking Hill 1 !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal64 View Post

Bullshit. For example, all the Games for Windows games stopped working many years ago. They even won’t work anymore if you install the legacy Windows of the era.

?? What's not working for you?

Most games have versions that do not require the GFWL client. You can still install the GFWL client on W10/W11.​

And software like ClassicShell (which provides a sane, ad-free start menu) might stop working even within the lifecycle of the given Windows version
        You connect violently into the configuration, take over the internal comunication between components. You touch, things not meant for you, and are surprised that something stops working.

[edit] Also, most of the games I purchased in the past, tend to work better on Linux than on Windows nowadays…
        On WINE.

Yes. Thanks to the stability of the Windows ABI, it's currently WINE the most stable option for running programs on Linux .

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
          NOW IF they would OSS windows that MIGHT be different... although TBH I really don't need windows much other than the windows drovers for my Intel ARC are better than even the bleeding edge linux drivers, plus the bleeding edge llinux drivers remove features like HW video encoding... not good bob...
          I am running the latest Intel drivers on an Ice Lake laptop right now and currently performing a transcode using ffmpeg+qsv no problem in Manjaro.

Some applications do have problems with hardware encoding, but I find this happens on Windows also.

What specific problem are you having?

Have you tried encoding using ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i tos_picture.mxf -i tos_sound.mxf -c:v h264_qsv -global_quality 1 -look_ahead 1 -look_ahead_depth 100 -rdo 1 -preset 7 -color_range pc -c:a copy /home/XXXXX/Desktop/ToS.mkv

Comment

Originally posted by topolinik View Post
            Please KONAMI, do the same and release the source code for dxmn Silent fxcking Hill 1 !!!
            I loved Silent Hill and would love to see it get the RE Remake treatment but why would you want to open source it?

When they open source a game, they only release the source code to the game engine, they never open up the assets that you need to play the game.

And the engine is old and outdated, there are much better game engines available.

Comment

Case in point:

MS Visual C++ 4.0 from 1995 running on Windows 11: https://twitter.com/tomaspetricek/st...73492435677544

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                Case in point:

MS Visual C++ 4.0 from 1995 running on Windows 11: https://twitter.com/tomaspetricek/st...73492435677544

I wonder if code compiled with this thing will run on Win 11.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I wonder if code compiled with this thing will run on Win 11.
                  Why shouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I loved Silent Hill and would love to see it get the RE Remake treatment but why would you want to open source it?

When they open source a game, they only release the source code to the game engine, they never open up the assets that you need to play the game.

And the engine is old and outdated, there are much better game engines available.
                    It seems FOSS is not your cup of tea, isn't it?

Say you own a broken ps1.
                    Say you own a SH1 CD.
                    Say you love the game.
                    What will you do to play it? Seek for a good PS1 emulator for your current computer, right? But, does the emulator run on your OS? Chances are it doesn't. And when you will find one that run, how long will it take to setup your game controller? Or, more likely, a bunch of keys on your keyboard? No, it's not an easy way - not for the average Joe.

Instead, look at engines by id software (they still sell copies of DOOM and Quake!), look at the Virtual Theatre by Revolution Software (they still sell copies of BASS and Broken Sword series!), and look at Jordan Mechner's Prince of Persia original game - those are still making money, allowing their games to run on any OS. Put it differently, they gave their games to eternity.

Comment

Originally posted by topolinik View Post

It seems FOSS is not your cup of tea, isn't it?

Say you own a broken ps1.
                      Say you own a SH1 CD.
                      Say you love the game.
                      What will you do to play it? Seek for a good PS1 emulator for your current computer, right?
                      Nope.

That is the half-assed way of doing things.

I would go to Amazon and buy another one for $50:

Comment

Working...
                      X