Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TUXEDO Pulse 14 Gen 3 Continues Running Well As A Powerful AMD Ryzen 7 Linux Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUXEDO Pulse 14 Gen 3 Continues Running Well As A Powerful AMD Ryzen 7 Linux Laptop

Phoronix: TUXEDO TUXEDO Pulse 14 Gen 3 Continues Running Well As A Powerful AMD Ryzen 7 Linux Laptop

The past two months I've been testing out the TUXEDO Pulse 14 Gen 3 laptop as a new AMD Ryzen laptop from this Bavarian Linux PC retailer. It's been working out very well under Linux (as would be expected of TUXEDO Computers) and quite adaptable for power and performance. For those needing a capable Linux laptop the TUXEDO Pulse 14 Gen 3 has proven quite stable and reliable under both their in-house TUXEDO OS distribution as well as Ubuntu Linux.

I have this laptop. Or rather, I have the schenker via pro 14 L23, which is identical but doesn't have a Linux option. When I got it it was hundreds of euros cheaper than the tuxedo pulse 14 gen 3. Probably still is (with no ssd minimal warranty no charger it's currently 940 euros). Delivered from germany to UK no problem, bought local M.2 and USB-C charger, job done.

Internally it has 2x M.2 2280, which is sweet. The bios has a mirror option, untested. For some reason I had to disable the 2nd M.2 slot in bios to get a solo m.2 working.

Comment

Very nice. Too bad that you can only hook up 3 external monitors when not charging, if I got that right.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
        Very nice. Too bad that you can only hook up 3 external monitors when not charging, if I got that right.
        There's 2x usb-c pd and an hdmi, if that answers your question.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
          Do you (or somebody else) happen to know whether USB-C would in theory allow to run DP-mode and charging at the same time? I.e. so that an external monitor connected to a power source (or a USB hub) could actually supply the laptop? Sounds to me like something many people would like to have.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Do you (or somebody else) happen to know whether USB-C would in theory allow to run DP-mode and charging at the same time? I.e. so that an external monitor connected to a power source (or a USB hub) could actually supply the laptop? Sounds to me like something many people would like to have.
            Works for me on a Ryzen ThinkPad with USB-C hub for charging and then connecting DisplayPort monitor.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Works for me on a Ryzen ThinkPad with USB-C hub for charging and then connecting DisplayPort monitor.
              Perfect, ty

Comment

Nice laptop, impressive benchmark numbers, but if they are based in Germany I have 2 reservations, one is the shipping costs that can add quite a bit to the purchase price, not to mention the risk of damage in transport

The second reservation is that i like buying my electronics equipment in person, like from a Microcenter, where they give you a 30 day return policy if you don't like it.

I also tend to favor HP computers for Linux or Unix, I have always said that of you can;t get a Linux distro working on a HP computer, then you are not getting it to work on any computer.

I prefer to shop around for sales, find something with a good CPU but cheesy ram and disks, buy it on the cheap then upgrade the ram and disks and install whatever OS I want.

Of course, if they gave it to me for free, i wouldn't look a gift laptop in the mouth.

Comment

Amongst all those links to phoronix articles you would have thought a link to the product page wouldn't have been particularly hard to include!

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                    Amongst all those links to phoronix articles you would have thought a link to the product page wouldn't have been particularly hard to include!
                    It's right at the end of the article where it typically is...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X