KDE Introduces New Marknote App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post
    Like the previous poster said, why would I use this when Google Keep allows me to sync all my notes and access them anywhere? The effort is better spent elsewhere.
    TOS TLDR but some might prefer Google NOT Keep-ing their notes, for one.
    cloud: Someone else's computer.

I do agree, though, having a wonderful notes application that works on a subset of LINUX installs and an even tinier subset (in practice) of non LINUX KDE environments is "useful" but to be really GOOD it should address import / export / sync / multi-platform use so one can easily deal with one's information on all of one's environments.

I'd look at maybe using web-app technology (even with a local server so I'm not saying "cloud based") or something like that, if / where QT isn't portable have a web-app / web based mode, and where that's not enough have something else as well.

And people are kind of used to a certain level of sophistication these days in information management, so I'd look at making it work nicely with spelling / grammar checking, speech-to-text, text-to-speech, calendaring, email, messaging, web, annotations, bookmarks, feeds, translation, A/V multimedia, backup, privacy / encryption, AIML assistants, even active technical notebook concepts / systems (jupyter, ...).

Obviously "external" desktop integrations / utilities can handle some of that but I'm just talking about going for the holistic UX of your users using N different platforms and having a solid or delightful PIM / note taking experience over all.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

It's weird that people on this forum don't know how open source volunteer projects work.
      Those people are the ones who use Gnome, a project who's entire existence is owned and controlled by a single company and it's paid developers. Thus, that project is very focused and not prone to volunteers adding new features/apps under the Gnome brand without explicit permission. That's why they don't understand how KDE works as a collective with only a few paid developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Those people are the ones who use Gnome, a project who's entire existence is owned and controlled by a single company and it's paid developers. Thus, that project is very focused and not prone to volunteers adding new features/apps under the Gnome brand without explicit permission. That's why they don't understand how KDE works as a collective with only a few paid developers.
        GNOME has a number of companies and plenty of volunteers contributing regularly.

Around the end of 2020, I looked at GNOME's commit history as a proxy for the project's overall health. A year and a half went by since then, and it's time for an update.

I would like to create a list of companies or organizations that contribute to GNOME, either upstream or downstream. Or companies that use some of the GNOME development stack to create a product, etc. Ideally the list should be as comprehensive as possible. I can edit this post to include missing ones. Here is the list that I came up with, in alphabetical order: Canonical Centricular Codethink Collabora Endless Igalia Purism Red Hat SUSE The GNOME Foundation I’ll add links later, and I can ...

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

GNOME has a number of companies and plenty of volunteers contributing regularly.
          Yes, and it's still open source. People contribute to it, or grab and fork it freely. I never meant to imply otherwise, but Red Hat and it's developers own the "gnome" brand, and tightly control what gets added, changed, or removed from Gnome and any of it's "core applications". Meanwhile, KDE is a collective of volunteer contributed software all using the same framework, rather than a "brand" that has guarantees. There are still companies that contribute to KDE and one could argue one company "controls" KDE, but it's a much looser control than Gnome has.
          Last edited by Daktyl198; 01 April 2024, 02:12 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Daktyl198;n1454074]
            Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

/QUOTE]

Yes, and it's still open source. People contribute to it, or grab and fork it freely. I never meant to imply otherwise, but Red Hat and it's developers own the "gnome" brand, and tightly control what gets added, changed, or removed from Gnome and any of it's "core applications".
            Not true.

You are repeating this claim without any evidence but the git commit stats as well as the participation from other companies and volunteers in governance shows otherwise. GNOME foundation owns the GNOME brand. Red Hat is certainly a strong contributor for some of the components including GTK and the recent accessibility framework but most of the core applications are actually developed by volunteers or other organizations. Recent examples including Loupe and Papers which is now in incubation and expected to replace Evince in an upcoming release. Libadwaita effort is directly led by Purism. I could go on but you get the point.

Comment

[QUOTE=spicfoo;n1454088]

Not true.

You are repeating this claim without any evidence but the git commit stats as well as the participation from other companies and volunteers in governance shows otherwise. GNOME foundation owns the GNOME brand. Red Hat is certainly a strong contributor for some of the components including GTK and the recent accessibility framework but most of the core applications are actually developed by volunteers or other organizations. Recent examples including Loupe and Papers which is now in incubation and expected to replace Evince in an upcoming release. Libadwaita effort is directly led by Purism. I could go on but you get the point.
              I didn't include GTK or Libadwaita in that sentence because I know it's more of a community driven project, despite what some people on this forum seem to think (including myself at one point). Yes, the Gnome foundation owns the Gnome brand, but afaik Red Hat is the biggest member of that board and has the biggest/final say on anything that happens regarding the projects or branding, even if other companies or individuals are included in said discussion. As for the rest, it seems you're getting confused by the difference between "develops directly" and "allows patches into".

Comment

I didn't include GTK or Libadwaita in that sentence because I know it's more of a community driven project, despite what some people on this forum seem to think (including myself at one point). Yes, the Gnome foundation owns the Gnome brand, but afaik Red Hat is the biggest member of that board and has the biggest/final say on anything that happens regarding the projects or branding.
                Again, where is the evidence? First of all branding is only controlled by the board for legal issues like trademark violations and patent trolls both of which have happened before and foundation was able to fight it off successfully.

Go ahead and do your research. Look up affiliations. Not a single Red Hat employee appears to be a board member at all. The president of the foundation works for Endless and manages among other things flathub.com because Endless ships GNOME and Flatpaks. The executive director is a third party hire. Everyone else is a regular board member and works for other companies. Meeting minutes are public. They publish yearly reports. So please feel free to cite your sources explicitly on how Red Hat is controlling branding or what applications are allowed to core applications or the board or any of your other claims.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

Thanks, but it's a summary of expenses. I would rather like to see what parts of developing KDE expenses on Personnel/Akademy/Sprints of total 292,312.31 euros went into. I think, it shouldn't be difficult to report: we paid this person this and that for working on this and that.
                  So as one of the developer working on Marknote, I just want to make it clear that neither I nor my co-maintainer is paid by KDE e.V. to work on this application. We are working on it on our free time and none of us got sponsored to get to Akademy last year. The list of contractors is available here: https://ev.kde.org/corporate/staffcontractors/ and all of them are working part time between 5 to 20 hours a week and none with a dream salary.

And aside from contributing a bit to marknote, I contribute a lot to many core areas of KDE (including stuff like KDE PIM/Akonadi, Breeze, Frameworks, and all the websites...): https://invent.kde.org/carlschwan

Comment

Would be cool if it could sync via IMAP like Apple Notes. A purely local notes app that can't sync with my phone is a bit pointless (for me at least).

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                      Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit.

Ghostwriter is dead and as far as I can tell there are no other markdown editors that aren't webtech.
                      You can try Iotas.

Comment

Working...
                      X