No announcement yet.

GNOME's Mutter Lands DRM Sync Obj v1 Support For Explicit Sync On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure hope support for explicit sync will be backported to current versions of kwin and mutter - meaning gnome 46 and kde 6.0 subsequential releases, as well as to xwayland.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      Everyone? Linux is just 2% of desktop users. Wayland is less than that. And then how many Wayland compositors are getting it? And how soon?

I'm not excited about anything Wayland related unless the huge fragmentation issue is solved.
      IIRC it' 4% on desktop. 2% is just on Steam. But of course most of those aren't Wayland.

Comment

Michael

Typo

"ironing out some ofi ts" should be "of its"

Comment

I'm not excited about anything Wayland related unless the huge fragmentation issue is solved.
          Some see fragmentation, others see choice.

Comment

Everyone? Linux is just 2% of desktop users. Wayland is less than that.
            Yes, we know. They were talking about everyone using Linux except the wayland haters.
            They won't get any "betterment", we promise.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

Some see fragmentation, others see choice.
              "Choice" of features not implemented in your Wayland compositor, meaning you are wrecked? Maybe you don't understand the meaning of the word.

No other popular widespread OS that I know of, has this choice. The vast majority of people want to get shit done, not "choose between feature A or no feature A". No other such an OS offers multiple display server either. It's asinine. It's extremely complex stuff, and there's 0 need to reimplement it a dozen of times. Not only there's no need for that, there are no resources for that either.

Your comment is basically an insult to intelligence, common sense, pragmatism and real world. Of course you will prove me wrong and donate a few million dollars to all the projects struggling with their Wayland implementations. How about supporting XFCE? Mate? Cinnamon? LXQt? Deepin? Surely 16 years after Wayland was devised, everything must support it near perfectly? No? Wait, what?
              Last edited by avis; 29 March 2024, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                IIRC it' 4% on desktop. 2% is just on Steam. But of course most of those aren't Wayland.
                But ChromeOS also makes up for quite some percentages, especially in education. And ChromeOS does use Wayland.

Comment

"Choice" of features not implemented in your Wayland compositor, meaning you are wrecked? Maybe you don't understand the meaning of the word.

No other popular widespread OS that I know of, has this choice. The vast majority of people want to get shit done, not "choose between feature A or no feature A". No other such an OS offers multiple display server either. It's asinine. It's extremely complex stuff, and there's 0 need to reimplement it a dozen of times. Not only there's no need for that, there are no resources for that either.

Your comment is basically an insult to intelligence, common sense, pragmatism and real world. Of course you will prove me wrong and donate a few million dollars to all the projects struggling with their Wayland implementations. How about supporting XFCE? Mate? Cinnamon? LXQt? Deepin? Surely 16 years after Wayland was devised, everything must support it near perfectly? No? Wait, what?
                  LXQt and Deepin are already running on Wayland, so what the hell are you talking about? Sure, they're not as far tailored to Wayland as GNOME and KDE are yet, but they're not struggling at all. In fact, Deepin has a dedicated Wayland team (I'm part of the Deepin and LXQt teams, though on different levels - and no, I'm not Chinese, I'm Dutch). They're also getting millions in money from the Chinese government, because the commercial version of Deepin, UOS, is going to replace all of the Windows and Mac machines there. It was recently in the global news that they started the conversion process.

Comment

No other popular widespread OS that I know of, has this choice.
                    They suffer for it too. Don't like what Apple and Microsoft built for you? Tough luck, you have no choice but to use it, bugs and all.

It is impossible for you to spin choice as a bad thing. Without that choice nobody would ever be able to research and explore new ideas.

Comment

It's good to have choice but I have to agree - with fragmentation and a million choices, means things are not gonna be smooth - it's gonna be complicated and the fact projects are all divided - that's tough to implement and have high quality as well.

But, I'm laughing at all these ppl cheering about 2-5% Linux adoption like that's huge numbers or something. Yes, it's climbing but still paltry to others. Maybe, it's cool/good to be a margin or small % considering the majority of, say, Windows users?

Comment

Working...
                      X