No announcement yet.

Updated Windows NT Sync Driver Posted For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how viable it would be to use wine "directly" as a PC environment, as far as I know everything that's needed is there.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      TW, I could have sworn that I read Capcom is coming out with another RE2 remake and a remake of Dino Crisis.
      Not sure why Capcom would do another RE Remake; makes kind of no sense to me. The next one will be 5 probably. And Dino Crisis remake? Now you are trolling No seriously, I don't believe that until official announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
        I see. Thanks all for the explanation. Guess I don't need to wait any longer and will start playing this weekend. :>

So are the benchmarks presented in this article misleading? I mean why does it not compare it against ESYNC/FSYNC? It says right in the article.
        No, they're not misleading. The benchmarks are what were presented in the pull request and, technically speaking, NTSYNC does help with the performance of various Windows games running on Linux by Wine and Wine derivatives. I assume it was benchmarked with vanilla Wine and not E/FSYNC Wine because 50-200% improvements look a lot nicer than .5-3% improvements and because not everyone uses patched versions of Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I'm a huge RE fan, to me they are some of the best games ever made.

Having said this, i never could get into playing them on a PC, they always seemed to run much better on a console.

BTW, I could have sworn that I read Capcom is coming out with another RE2 remake and a remake of Dino Crisis.
          RE2 and 3 remakes run great on my PC. It's using ultrawide modding that gives me issues on Linux, but that's not exclusive to Resident Evil.

A Dino Crisis remake using the new RE engine would be so awesome. I'd kill for Square to do some Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story remakes.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            not everyone uses patched versions of Wine.
            If you are using Steam, Lutris, Heroic or any other launcher (we are talking about legally acquired game, right?) - you are 99% using patched version of Wine. I do respect GOG and I do compile custom Proton build as a system Wine to just do wine gog_game.exe and have best possible game compatibility.

Comment

No, they're not misleading. The benchmarks are what were presented in the pull request and, technically speaking, NTSYNC does help with the performance of various Windows games running on Linux by Wine and Wine derivatives. I assume it was benchmarked with vanilla Wine and not E/FSYNC Wine because 50-200% improvements look a lot nicer than .5-3% improvements and because not everyone uses patched versions of Wine.
              ntsync is not faster than fsync, so maybe 3% regression is more appropriate.

You guys are missing the point. esync/fsync cannot go upstream since they're not correct by design. ntsync can. This is for upstream wine, not for Proton which can use fsync already. Michael doesn't get it either.

Comment

Heck, FSYNC is pulling more FPS in the NTSYNC demo (skip to 14:12).

I am seeing 1fps difference in GPU bound scenario, i.e. margin of error. Or what am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by doragasu View Post

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these performance gains are measured with respect to Wine with ESYNC/FSYNC off. If you turn ESYNC/FSYNC on, performance numbers should be very similar. So yeah, unless I'm wrong, you can play RE2 remake now, no need to wait, just make sure Wine/Proton is configured properly.
                  Yeah, i think tbh the fps measurement is just to sell people on the idea, the real benefit is higher stability in games on wine/proton, and maybe in some edge cases, allow you to run games that didn't work with esync/fsync.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Yeah, i think tbh the fps measurement is just to sell people on the idea, the real benefit is higher stability in games on wine/proton, and maybe in some edge cases, allow you to run games that didn't work with esync/fsync.
                    No, they are comparing correct implementation to a correct implementation. Anything else would be dishonest.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                      I wonder how viable it would be to use wine "directly" as a PC environment, as far as I know everything that's needed is there.
                      It's called reactos, it's not that good.

Comment

Working...
                      X