Flatpak 1.15.7 Will Now Automatically Remove Obsolete Driver Versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I have a 64gb laptop and a 128gb tablet, both ran into out of storage issues because of flatpak when I tested it. I was really excited for flatpak, and still go back and occasionally test it.
    Have you tried running "flatpak uninstall --unused" to remove old unused runtimes?

Also, do you have Nvidia by chance? Flathub currently has a serious issue for Nvidia users because it keeps dozens of different Nvidia runtimes for some reason and even running "flatpak uninstall --unused" doesn't really help in this case. I've seen a lot of people complain about Flatpak wasting disk space and they were mostly Nvidia users,

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
      Just let me use system Mesa already.
      How you link that? The host system ha different libraries to the flatpak runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Have you tried running "flatpak uninstall --unused" to remove old unused runtimes?

Also, do you have Nvidia by chance? Flathub currently has a serious issue for Nvidia users because it keeps dozens of different Nvidia runtimes for some reason and even running "flatpak uninstall --unused" doesn't really help in this case. I've seen a lot of people complain about Flatpak wasting disk space and they were mostly Nvidia users,
        unfortunately no mesa, I did try uninstall unused a couple times, but I had a lot of apps so it didnt always help a lot

Comment

Why is it that there is an nVidia driver in Flatpak anyway? Shouldn't that be part of the OS? How is it different from other drivers or the kernel itself? Can you even run multiple versions of the nVidia driver at the same time anyway? I mean, can a Flatpak app use a different version of the nVidia driver than the version installed on the system? If not (and I assume it's not possible), then why is Flatpak duplicating the driver and making Flatpak updates painfully big?

Comment

I have a 64gb laptop and a 128gb tablet, both ran into out of storage issues because of flatpak when I tested it. I was really excited for flatpak, and still go back and occasionally test it.
            if i see the market of smartphones and chromebook laptops and so one anything less than 128GB is EOL end of life.

to run into problems with 128gb in deed is a problem.

new chromebooks for example Acer Chromebook 317 CB317-1H-C9U7, Celeron N4500, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash
            ​have 128gb...

but maybe even this is soon a thing of the past and 256GB is the next minimum
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              Why is it that there is an nVidia driver in Flatpak anyway? Shouldn't that be part of the OS? How is it different from other drivers or the kernel itself? Can you even run multiple versions of the nVidia driver at the same time anyway? I mean, can a Flatpak app use a different version of the nVidia driver than the version installed on the system? If not (and I assume it's not possible), then why is Flatpak duplicating the driver and making Flatpak updates painfully big?
              flatpak bundles userland drivers. Kernel drivers can't be exchanged without unbinding driver, but userland drivers can run any number at the same time, like radv + amdvlk at the same time for different apps.

Comment

flatpak bundles userland drivers. Kernel drivers can't be exchanged without unbinding driver, but userland drivers can run any number at the same time, like radv + amdvlk at the same time for different apps.
                can it bundle vulkan drivers yet ? last time when I tried flatpak, vulkan support was bad, I think many single developer distros are more well maintained than flatpak sadly , maybe this is reason many companies are using AppImage(JetBrains), snap(Spotify and many others) or deb/run(Nvidia Nsight Tools), I want flatpak to win but it is messy

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

do you really care about a few gigs on your root fs?
                  the last time i had space problem on my root fs was about 15yrs ago
                  Yes, as a matter of fact I do care about wasting fs space.

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post

can it bundle vulkan drivers yet ? last time when I tried flatpak, vulkan support was bad, I think many single developer distros are more well maintained than flatpak sadly , maybe this is reason many companies are using AppImage(JetBrains), snap(Spotify and many others) or deb/run(Nvidia Nsight Tools), I want flatpak to win but it is messy
                    at the very least, mesa vulkan works fine, I havent seen anyone complaining about nvidia either.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Yes, as a matter of fact I do care about wasting fs space.
                      it's not wasted. it's used. that's a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X