Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Engineer Sends Rust Linux Kernel Patches For In-Place Module Initialization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Engineer Sends Rust Linux Kernel Patches For In-Place Module Initialization

Phoronix: Microsoft Engineer Sends Rust Linux Kernel Patches For In-Place Module Initialization

What a time we live in where Microsoft not only continues contributing significantly to the Linux kernel but doing so to further flesh out the design of the Linux kernel's Rust programming language support. A previously unimaginable combination of Microsoft, the Rust programming language, and the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Offtopic but I saw that MS Teams was available on Linux a year ago but not anymore, they have stopped offering it

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
      Offtopic but I saw that MS Teams was available on Linux a year ago but not anymore, they have stopped offering it
      They stopped offering the "desktop app" which was Electron based anyway. You should be able to continue using the web version. There are also other unofficial ones if you want to go that way.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

They stopped offering the "desktop app" which was Electron based anyway. You should be able to continue using the web version. There are also other unofficial ones if you want to go that way.
        Linux is used by too little of people, so they dropped the desktop (Electron) version and say the web version is enough for them. EDIT: I heard the new version is "PWA" (Progressive Web App), so it should work half-like the desktop version, at least (e.g. Outlook PWA support even offline mode).

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
          Yeah, they dumped the desktop version, but it was half baked to begin with. The web version works much better and it is listed as a PWA... the only problem is for the life of me I cannot figure out how to "install" a PWA... they claim its supposed to pop up a think in the address bar to "install" but have never figured out why it doesn't for me.

That said, I have had way more success on Linux using the web app then I ever had with the desktop application! It works better then Teams on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Yeah, they dumped the desktop version, but it was half baked to begin with. The web version works much better and it is listed as a PWA... the only problem is for the life of me I cannot figure out how to "install" a PWA... they claim its supposed to pop up a think in the address bar to "install" but have never figured out why it doesn't for me.

That said, I have had way more success on Linux using the web app then I ever had with the desktop application! It works better then Teams on Windows.
            The install button is probably only in browsers supporting it. SHould be Chrome, maybe Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post
              The install button is probably only in browsers supporting it. SHould be Chrome, maybe Edge.
              Last I recall the install of the PWA app was possible on Edge on Linux, but not (yet) Chrome. Someone suggested that that was going to get resolved RSN.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Last I recall the install of the PWA app was possible on Edge on Linux, but not (yet) Chrome. Someone suggested that that was going to get resolved RSN.
                A least that. Google likes to ignore lower customer bases, e.g. created the ARM Windows version of Chrome just weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta

Fixed that for you.
                  But Google is nothing better, as written above your comment. No PWA support on Linux (but it is in Edge).

Comment

Long term, we still want to make such functionality available in upstream Rust
                    I can't see that ever happening. Looking at the code, they seem to be abusing traits to emulate function overloading. As far as I know, nothing in the standard library does anything like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X