No announcement yet.

Fedora 40 Beta Released With GNOME 46 & KDE Plasma 6.0 On Wayland Desktops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What interested me the most was about the removal of social networks at the end of the article.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
      That sounds like, for some reason, you got the *Server* network install image. Only Server images default to XFS-on-LVM. The "Everything" network install image would've given you btrfs.
      I did the minimal installation option, but I figured the LVM+XFS bit was the same as the Server option. From what I read, I did see that Btrfs was the default for Workstation and desktop spins, but my intention here was to do a *minimal* installation and build up everything I wanted on that minimal installation. Not sure if "Everything" is going to allow that, to me sounds like you get exactly the opposite. I'm playing around again this morning in a virtualized situation (easy cleanup afterwards!)

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

I did the minimal installation option, but I figured the LVM+XFS bit was the same as the Server option. From what I read, I did see that Btrfs was the default for Workstation and desktop spins, but my intention here was to do a *minimal* installation and build up everything I wanted on that minimal installation. Not sure if "Everything" is going to allow that, to me sounds like you get exactly the opposite. I'm playing around again this morning in a virtualized situation (easy cleanup afterwards!)
        It allows exactly that. They are both network install images, which means they contain no packages and let you choose any package set you like to deploy. The differences between them are in defaults, including the default pre-selected package set (which is Server for the Server netinst and "custom" - which is the same as minimal - for Everything), and the default filesystem and partition layout.

Comment

I downloaded both the Fedora 40 Workstation beta and the KDE beta and tried them via live-usb.

With the Workstation version i found myself asking why this version exists at all. It's impossible to overstate how atrocious it is. What is it supposed to be?

Gnome just sucks beyond belief, it makes the Win 8 shell look like a well thought out, well implemented GUI.

As for Fedora itself, it's just an empty suit, there's nothing there.

I have said it before, people don't use OSes, they use applications, most people couldn't care less what it is running underneath so long as they have the tools to do what they want.

In the case of Linux distros, the biggest application would be the DE and i can't see Gnome making anyone more productive.

The KDE version also left me asking myself why it existed. It features Plasma 6, which is the first time I have used it and honestly, outside of a few very minor cosmetic changes I was hard pressed to tell the difference between Plasma 6 and its predecessor.

The KDE version was a better experience than Workstation+Gnome, but again i found myself what it the purpose of this release, for the most part Fedora 39 KDE will give me the same experience, as will Fedora 38, as will Fedora 37 and so on.

It's like they release new versions for the sake of releasing new versions, kind of like busy work so they can tell themselves they are doing something.

Just a waste of bandwidth.
          Last edited by sophisticles; 27 March 2024, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            outside of a few very minor cosmetic changes I was hard pressed to tell the difference between Plasma 6 and its predecessor.
            The rest of your post is worthless tripe, but you did happen to point out the #1 sign of good UI design practice, so at least that's something.

Comment

If you are hard pressed to tell the difference between Plasma 5 and Plasma 6, then what s the point of Plasma 6?

And since this is about Fedora, if you can't tell the difference between Fedora 38, Fedora 39 and Fedora 40, then what is the point?

Comment

If you are hard pressed to tell the difference between Plasma 5 and Plasma 6, then what s the point of Plasma 6?

And since this is about Fedora, if you can't tell the difference between Fedora 38, Fedora 39 and Fedora 40, then what is the point?
                It's like you have no clue how software development works.

I guess you never update your browser, or video drivers on windows either, right? Because what's the difference as far as you can tell at a glance?

Comment

The point, my dear boy, is to incorporate all the advancements in system software that accumulate over the 6 months between releases but must otherwise be held back due to the possibility of breakage requiring user/admin intervention, plus to rigorously test and release known-good install .isos that have drivers for new hardware.

As for Plasma 6, the main thing AFAIK is porting from qt5 (which is forked and maintained by the KDE community) to qt6 (which is current upstream). But aside from that there's been a lot of work on polishing Wayland support, as well as new UI capabilities if you choose to use them.

Like with many endeavors, the sign of a well-executed software upgrade is that no one need notice that it happened, unless they are curious.

Comment

Working...
                  X