Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.3 To Squeeze A Bit More Performance Out Of AMD Zen 4 CPUs

Phoronix: Linux 6.3 To Squeeze A Bit More Performance Out Of AMD Zen 4 CPUs

As I wrote about earlier this week, Linux 6.3 is positioned to support AMD Zen 4's Automatic IBRS feature. AMD's Linux enablement code around Automatic IBRS has been undergoing review the past few months and now via TIP's x96/cpu Git branch is to be sent in next month for the Linux 6.3 merge window. I've run some preliminary benchmarks of the Automatic IBRS support on Zen 4 and it's looking positive for further enhancing the performance of AMD's new Ryzen 7000 series and EPYC 9004 series processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hate the fact that AMD is so glacially slow with supporting their CPUs on linux. GPUs are typically pretty good, but having advertised features not be enabled on the linux destop is truly terrible. Get yourself together AMD. Everything else has been pretty good.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      indeed the Ryzen 9 7950X defaulted to the Automatic IBRS mitigation for Specte V2 mitigation compared to the current Retpoline approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
        I really hate the fact that AMD is so glacially slow with supporting their CPUs on linux. GPUs are typically pretty good, but having advertised features not be enabled on the linux destop is truly terrible. Get yourself together AMD. Everything else has been pretty good.
        alternatively, intel is so slow in releasing cpus, roadmap and hardware leaks come months or even years early, engineering samples are constantly floating around the grey market before release especially in chin

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
          Not everything, AMD has really low quality standards. I had to go through one 3950x unit and one 5950x unit before I received good CPUs. The first 3950x would bugcheck and reboot the system with prime95 at stock BIOS settings, only the second one worked correctly. My first 5950x was also a lemon that had USB issues and 2 faulty cores that would error out in high boost tiers (the best CPPC cores), my second and current one is perfect (rock solid) although it seems to be a slightly worse binning as it runs Cinebench 2.5% slower than the first one (I'll take stability any day over fast silicon that is unstable garbage) . These problems were experienced on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme (a $1000 board with the benchmark power delivery for this platform and perfect measuring voltages). Never had I received a bad Intel CPU and the amount of reddit postings seems to back this up.

AMD is your CPU brand if you want to tinker and exchange things 5 times while being blamed for your issues on the AMD subreddit by their shills. I'd rather go with Intel next as at least I will get a reliable PC with no down time. With the Ryzen 7000 series, they are no longer the performance per watt or single threaded champions, therefore, there is no longer a convincing reason to go with them. (wake me up when DDR6 comes out as I'm happy with the 5950x performance).

I still love their GPU's for the open source drivers and would not trade my 5700 XT for an Nvidia card, although the low quality remains as my first 5700 XT was also defective and would fail to run reliably in PCIe 4.0 mode (only PCIe 3.0 would boot reliably) which was fixed with the replacement (no other changes made to the system).

I suspect that most of the crashes and problems with AMD are caused by faulty components and not mis-configured systems, consider yourself warned (if anyone sees this post that is).

Comment

Working...
          X