Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE Spins Off Its Server Business Unit As Giga Computing

Phoronix: GIGABYTE Spins Off Its Server Business Unit As Giga Computing

GIGABYTE announced this morning they have spun off their server business unit and formed Giga Computing for their enterprise products moving forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gigabyte had a server branch? Never knew.

Comment

Do they even contribute anything to the Linux kernel and are less bastards than years ago when they just told people to use Windows?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember that being a Gigabyte motherboard owner at that time and seeing this news made me so angry that I wrote an angry email to them as I hated this bullshit attitude of them towards their customers.

I remember that the person who responded to that email said to me that they will not tolerate such emails and they will forward it to their superiors.
      No shit Sherlock!
      That's exactly what i wanted and I hop others did the same as no bad attitude will change by itself if we don't push for it.
      After so many years I still avoid Gigabyte motherboards, especially lately where I see that at least ASUS are really well supported, even if not directly by them.
      Hopefully in the future more motherboards will have coreboot support and it will be easier to choose a motherboard compatible with Linux.

Comment

Given how bad their BIOS quality is, even for latest $600 enthusiast X670E AM5 boards, I'll not buying anything from GIGA in the near future : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4VBLStQnH0

Comment

I'm enthusiastically waiting for their offices in Chad.

Comment

euwwww Gigabyte :S

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Do they even contribute anything to the Linux kernel and are less bastards than years ago when they just told people to use Windows?

I remember that being a Gigabyte motherboard owner at that time and seeing this news made me so angry that I wrote an angry email to them as I hated this bullshit attitude of them towards their customers.

I remember that the person who responded to that email said to me that they will not tolerate such emails and they will forward it to their superiors.
              No shit Sherlock!
              That's exactly what i wanted and I hop others did the same as no bad attitude will change by itself if we don't push for it.
              After so many years I still avoid Gigabyte motherboards, especially lately where I see that at least ASUS are really well supported, even if not directly by them.
              Hopefully in the future more motherboards will have coreboot support and it will be easier to choose a motherboard compatible with Linux.
              If you were as abusive sounding then as you read now, you're lucky they even bothered to read past the first line without hitting the delete key.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

No shit Sherlock!
                I guess now they would reply with "just use Windows 11" as a fix even if the issue happened in Windows 10 as well.

Comment

What a waisted opportunity! The new company should be named terabyte or pentabyte.

Comment

Shrugs... I've never had a problem with Gigabyte motherboards.

In comprison with Asus motherboards, Asus motherboards seemed plagued with problems (eg. audio chipset problems) whereas Gigabyte motherboards just worked.

Although, have a preference for Asus Xonar audio cards, but again, with Windows Driver problems!

Overall, seemingly having far better luck with Gigabyte over all.

Wonder if this means there will be finally a better supply of workstation empty PCI/PCI-e slot motherboards again rather than mothboards having all PCI lanes occupied (by embedded audio/wifi chips) and only offering one or two empty PCI slots. I know, wishful thinking...

Think most prefer to install or upgrade their own high-end or low-end sound/wifi cards themselves, rather than having to build a motherboard annually.
                    Last edited by rogerx; 04 January 2023, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X