Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.2-rc1 Brings Stable Intel Arc Graphics, Call Depth Tracking & Many More Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.2-rc1 Brings Stable Intel Arc Graphics, Call Depth Tracking & Many More Features

Phoronix: Linux 6.2-rc1 Brings Stable Intel Arc Graphics, Call Depth Tracking & Many More Features

Following the two week long Linux 6.2 merge window colliding with Christmas day, Linus Torvalds just released Linux 6.2-rc1 as capping off the merge window and moving on to the testing and bug fixing phase of this release cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! There are a lot of ZSTD and BTRFS improvements and i'd like to see some benchmarks on kernels 6.0.x, 6.1.x, 6.2-rc1.

Comment

Any news on power usage sensors for k10temp? Can AMD just contribute all the needed bits? It's kind of weird it's still an issue with 6.1.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Any news on power usage sensors for k10temp? Can AMD just contribute all the needed bits?
        They have power reporting via the RAPL interfaces (accessible if root).... That's what I use for all my CPU/SoC power measurement articles.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They have power reporting via the RAPL interfaces (accessible if root).... That's what I use for all my CPU/SoC power measurement articles.
          What tools can be used for reading that? And can it be added to k10temp then?

Supposedly support for that was removed since access to CPU registers for reading it wasn't understood well and could be damaging to the hardware if used incorrectly, but if there is some official support through other interfaces, can k10temp pick / use that information for the same purpose?
          Last edited by shmerl; 25 December 2022, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

What tools can be used for reading that? And can it be added to k10temp then?

Supposedly support for that was removed since access to CPU registers for reading it wasn't understood well and could be damaging to the hardware if used incorrectly, but if there is some official support through other interfaces, can k10temp pick / use that information for the same purpose?
            It can be read via sysfs... On my system typing right now:

cat /sys/class/powercap/intel-rapl\:0/energy_uj

​From there with the uJ reporting can determine Watts between two reads. (PTS has been making use of it since the Intel support was merged and works the same with the AMD implementation.) Been using that interface for quite a while now and is even working on all Zen 4 CPUs.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hm, then I guess a question would be how to get userspace access for it, so monitoring tools can pick it up. It would be good to have lm-sensors pick that as well. If there is a working kernel way to read it, it should be doable within k10temp as well. I'll ping the developers.

Comment

I'm still waiting for drivers for RTL8812AU in the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post
                  I'm still waiting for drivers for RTL8812AU in the kernel.
                  Is there any work on it? Or you're waiting Hachi style?

Comment

I was already certain Linus had already fallen too low. But letting Intel's late stage capitalism bullshit in, is absurd. Anyway, one more proof that open source and free software is not necessarily progressive and can even be reactionary.

Comment

Working...
                    X