Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.1 Lands Revert For "Huge Performance Regressions" From Three Lines Of Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1 Lands Revert For "Huge Performance Regressions" From Three Lines Of Code

Phoronix: Linux 6.1 Lands Revert For "Huge Performance Regressions" From Three Lines Of Code

Ahead of the Linux 6.1-rc8 kernel that Linus Torvalds is expected to issue shortly rather than going straight to Linux 6.1 stable, a revert for a small change leading to "huge performance regressions" in select areas has fortunately been caught and reverted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is somewhat concerning that this wasn't caught until RC8, but then again the blistering pace of Linux kernel development I'm surprised more bugs aren't caught like this so I guess kudos to the team for keeping these huge regressions few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      It is somewhat concerning that this wasn't caught until RC8, but then again the blistering pace of Linux kernel development I'm surprised more bugs aren't caught like this so I guess kudos to the team for keeping these huge regressions few and far between.
      Not that it would have caught this, but there are regressions added to Linux every week if coverity’s scans are to be believed:

Comment

It was caught in the August in linux-next..

https://lore.kernel.org/all/YwIoiIYo...OptiPlex-9020/
        Last edited by Volta; 04 December 2022, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post

Not that it would have caught this, but there are regressions added to Linux every week if coverity’s scans are to be believed:

https://scan.coverity.com/projects/l...xt-weekly-scan
          It's the linux-next which is a bleeding edge tree, but I don't expect too much from you.

Comment

Yeahhhh I'm probably going to wait until after Christmas to try Linux 6.1...

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post

https://scan.coverity.com/projects/l...xt-weekly-scan
              I stopped reading at "Language C/C++". If you cannot distinct C and C++, you are good for nothing!

Comment

What distros run hugepage in transparent mode?
                I've left my homebaked kernels at madvise.
                Maybe time to do some various tests with hugepages again?

I got fed up with transparent hugepages ages ago so I decided to give them a rest.
                Dunno about nowdays though.

Comment

And yet some people think -O3 is perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    And yet some people think -O3 is perfectly fine.
                    It should be perfectly fine. And if it isn't, it is a bug either on the compiler or Kernel side and should get fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X