Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenIndiana Hipster 2022.10 Released With Updates For This OpenSolaris-Derived OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beherit View Post

I wouldn't say Oracle really killed OpenSolaris, rather that it evolved into OpenIndiana. What really did (mostly) kill OpenIndiana is the idiot who thought it was a cool/good/awesome idea to name it Hipster. Most people would, rightfully, avoid having anything to do with hipsters. It's gotta be one of the worst software name choices in history. One of the most predictable jokes in this forum is the name of ReiserFS whenever it's mentioned, and that the current devs don't rebrand it into something better. Same goes for OpenIndiana Hipster.

A shame really, a really missed opportunity for some good competition to Linux and the BSD's. 10 years ago.

They did because OpenSolaris project was killed by the fact that Oracle stopped providing code after they acquired Sun. illumos was created after that.

About name - yeah, not a big fan of it either.

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post

There's also OmniOS (for servers) and SmartOS (same).
    I didn't know about them, thank you for links.

Comment

In July I wrote about my latest experience trying to do day-to-day work with OpenIndiana, and it's still frustratingly buggy / incompatible with software I use effortlessly on Linux (or even macOS). I guess I keep trying to use OI because of sentimental reasons -- it was my first encounter with a Unix OS (SunOS) that was both scary and intriguing at the time.

Tribblix is an interesting alternative to try out. It doesn't have all of the 'baggage' that OI has and is almost fun. Unfortunately Tribblix too cannot run everything I need compared to Linux or macOS.

I look forward to the day when I can run OI or Tribblix full-time, just because.

Comment

Originally posted by willbprog177 View Post
        In July I wrote about my latest experience trying to do day-to-day work with OpenIndiana, and it's still frustratingly buggy / incompatible with software I use effortlessly on Linux (or even macOS). I guess I keep trying to use OI because of sentimental reasons -- it was my first encounter with a Unix OS (SunOS) that was both scary and intriguing at the time.

Tribblix is an interesting alternative to try out. It doesn't have all of the 'baggage' that OI has and is almost fun. Unfortunately Tribblix too cannot run everything I need compared to Linux or macOS.

I look forward to the day when I can run OI or Tribblix full-time, just because.
        I'll be sure to give that a read tonight. Tribblix is such an interesting Illumos distro. Only ever ran it in a VM but loved it!

Comment

Working...
        X