Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenRGB 0.8 Comes As Big Update To This Open-Source, Cross-Vendor RGB Lighting Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenRGB 0.8 Comes As Big Update To This Open-Source, Cross-Vendor RGB Lighting Software

Phoronix: OpenRGB 0.8 Comes As Big Update To This Open-Source, Cross-Vendor RGB Lighting Software

OpenRGB 0.8 was released on Sunday night as this project's largest release ever and coming after nearly one year in development. OpenRGB as a reminder is the open-source, cross-vendor and cross-platform software for RGB lighting control across many different devices from GPUs and motherboards to keyboards and other lighted peripherals...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A ton better than most proprietary Windows LED applications some of which are already over a hundred of megabytes for reasons which are outside of my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      A ton better than most proprietary Windows LED applications some of which are already over a hundred of megabytes for reasons which are outside of my understanding.
      The Corsair iCue software requires over 1,2 gigabytes of space. https://forum.corsair.com/forums/top...ue-take-12-gb/

According to Gamer's Nexus the RGB software can slow down frame rates up to 10%. https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...s_performance/
      ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        According to Gamer's Nexus the RGB software can slow down frame rates up to 10%. https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...s_performance/
        ​​​​
        I thought it is common gamer knowledge - RGB increases Performance

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I thought it is common gamer knowledge - RGB increases Performance
          True. All Space Orcs know: Red makes it go faster, green makes it more efficient, and blue makes it run cooler.

Comment

OpenRGB is a life saver for Windows users.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

In my experience with OpenRGB and an RGB USB keyboard: it isn't "better than most proprietary Windows LED applications". The primary reason why it isn't better is that the programming interfaces of many RGB devices are undocumented. The following steps deliver better results than OpenRGB:
              1. Install the proprietary Windows LED application in a virtual machine on Linux
              2. Give the virtual machine temporary exclusive access to the USB keyboard
              3. Let the Windows app upload the RGB lighting to the keyboard
              4. Shut down the virtual machine
              I have a keyboard with on-board memory precisely for this. However, most models do not actually have on-board memory, so that trick won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

The Corsair iCue software requires over 1,2 gigabytes of space. https://forum.corsair.com/forums/top...ue-take-12-gb/
                ​​​​
                That may be, but just look at how prompt and to the point their replies in that forum are

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I have a keyboard with on-board memory precisely for this. However, most models do not actually have on-board memory, so that trick won't work.
                  Me too: the UHKv2. It's super convenient to have the same layout, layers and other settings across all devices without having to do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    In my experience with OpenRGB and an RGB USB keyboard: it isn't "better than most proprietary Windows LED applications". The primary reason why it isn't better is that the programming interfaces of many RGB devices are undocumented. The following steps deliver better results than OpenRGB:
                    1. Install the proprietary Windows LED application in a virtual machine on Linux
                    2. Give the virtual machine temporary exclusive access to the USB keyboard
                    3. Let the Windows app upload the RGB lighting to the keyboard
                    4. Shut down the virtual machine
                    There is more to it than that. OpenRGB QMK keyboards that do have a documented interface. Most OpenRGB QMK keyboards don't automatically work with OpenRGB program instead you have to go into settings and add the device.

Then lot of OpenRGB QMK keyboards you need to do a firmware update before they behave right with OpenRGB program due to changes in the OpenRGB QMK protocol.

Some of this with RGB on keyboards and the like people need to vote with feet and buy the more compatible products. Some of this the more compadible products need to get more user-friendly. This OpenRGB QMK stuff is exactly user friendly.

Comment

Working...
                    X