Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Details The Accelerators & Security Features For On Demand / Software Defined Silicon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Details The Accelerators & Security Features For On Demand / Software Defined Silicon

Phoronix: Intel Details The Accelerators & Security Features For On Demand / Software Defined Silicon

Over the past year since being the first to report on Software Defined Silicon (SDSi) for license-activated hardware features with future CPUs, we've been left to wonder all what will be incorporated into this controversial Software Defined Silicon. Intel recently shared that SDSi will be marketed as Intel On Demand and now they have published a web page outlining more about this after-purchase upgrades for activating extra processor features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am expecting Black Friday sales and 30-Day-Trials for hardware features coming soon.

Comment

I hope someone will find out how to circumvent this.

Comment

I still wonder which politician messed up so horribly that such a thing can be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
          I still wonder which politician messed up so horribly ...
          All of them.

Comment

You have to pay for Intel to activate the chip's security?

I hope the list of people who buy that are leaked (it will). I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell them.

Comment

Software defined silicon sounds appropriate for an fpga but no for this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                I am expecting Black Friday sales and 30-Day-Trials for hardware features coming soon.
                I bet the gaming feature will be unlock / K feature to decap the freq limit

Comment

Again, Open Source fans show their worth. Not actually helping open source, not starting or having any businesses, never designing a single IC, yet, "We hate, hate, hate". Perfectly explains why an Open Source desktop OS continues to find itself in the deepest hole.

Comment

AMD starts kicking some ass so Intel has to take a page from the Elon Musk Tesla Playbook to keep their profits up. What a surprise that shit emulates shit.

If y'all don't know, Tesla cars do that same On Demand Firmware Bullshit. Tesla makes one battery and sells multiple battery options. How? Firmware Restriction Bullshit. You have to pay to get them to remove the firmware restrictions to get the full range of your battery. In the early Tesla days they made multiple batteries and ended up with a lot of battery waste when people upgraded their batteries so instead of making and selling one good battery they sell the good battery with a firmware restriction in place to limit your charge and driving distance and you have to pay to remove it.

Firmware based product lines outta be illegal. If the only difference between 7 different widgets are some 0's and 1's then there should only be 1 widget for sale instead of 7. Forcing someone to upgrade from one to the other to the other as they can afford it when they've been holding it in their hand since day one is really trashy and unethical.

This is obvious price gouging and they're not even trying to hide it. You don't sell a CPU at a loss with hopes and prayers that people will opt-in to the profit. You sell it for a profit and tack on extra profit. That's trashy and unethical, Intel.

bridgman agd5f For the love of God please talk AMD out of doing firmware restriction product line bullshit. No one wants to spend $4000 on a badass EPYC only to spend $300 to enable AVX2 and another $450 to enable the RDNA3 accelerator cores. One of our two choices needs to have basic ethics and decency.
                    Last edited by skeevy420; 23 November 2022, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X