Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Screen Sharing For Chrome/Chromium Improving - Enabled By Default Soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Screen Sharing For Chrome/Chromium Improving - Enabled By Default Soon?

Phoronix: Wayland Screen Sharing For Chrome/Chromium Improving - Enabled By Default Soon?

Red Hat engineer Jan Grulich has written a year-end summary about the ongoing work for supporting Wayland-based screen sharing for the Google Chrome/Chromium web browser. The code still isn't enabled by default but given the strides being made that could change "sooner than later" if all goes well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From what I understand, this issue is why Chrome hasn't switched to native wayland yet in wayland by default, so if they fix that I believe the default will change to use native wayland on a wayland session.
    There is already the flag that however can be set by users in "automatic" to run wayland native Chrome, personally not using screen sharing it has been set for a long time and I must say that it works really well.​

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      There is already the flag that however can be set by users in "automatic" to run wayland native Chrome, personally not using screen sharing it has been set for a long time and I must say that it works really well.​
      I would not say it works really well. For whatever reason, Chrome on Wayland changes my mouse pointer (other Wayland programs don't do this), and some websites have major glitches when rendering images (ironically, Google Images is by far the worst about this). Otherwise it works just fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I would not say it works really well. For whatever reason, Chrome on Wayland changes my mouse pointer (other Wayland programs don't do this), and some websites have major glitches when rendering images (ironically, Google Images is by far the worst about this). Otherwise it works just fine for me.
        Maybe this is a problem with your distribution, because it works fine for me on Plasma in Tumbleweed.
        The mouse pointer problem exists in some flatpak applications, however there is an easy fix to this.​
        I've been using it for some time and I have no problems rendering images and videos.
        What distribution are you on? I ask because some distributions do not have the latest software versions and I am not referring to chrome, but to waylands, portals etc.​
        Last edited by Charlie68; 22 November 2022, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I can't reproduce any of those glitches on Tumbleweed with Plasma Wayland.

Comment

From what I understand, this issue is why Chrome hasn't switched to native wayland yet in wayland by default, so if they fix that I believe the default will change to use native wayland on a wayland session.
            Screen sharing on Wayland and native Wayland backend for UI rendering aren't tied to each other. You can screenshare from Chromium and run that app through Xwayland just fine. I for one cannot understand how no functionality is better default than half-baked and quirky, but working functionality.

Comment

Maybe this is a problem with your distribution, because it works fine for me on Plasma in Tumbleweed.
              The mouse pointer problem exists in some flatpak applications, however there is an easy fix to this.​
              I've been using it for some time and I have no problems rendering images and videos.
              What distribution are you on? I ask because some distributions do not have the latest software versions and I am not referring to chrome, but to waylands, portals etc.​
              I'm using Arch + KDE. I believe I'm using the official stable branch directly from Google.

I think it's more likely that one of my other Chrome flags is causing the problem if this is not a widespread issue.

Just to clarify, videos work fine and images in most sites render with no problems at all. Using Chrome through xwayland does not have the image glitch.

How do you fix the pointer issue?

Comment

Until recently, forcing Chrome to run in Wayland mode would cause issues if you had multiple monitors at different scaling factors. Mouse positioning would be screwed up compared to where you were clicking. And also using keyboard or mouse shortcuts to snap a chrome window to a section of the monitor was messed up.

But those issues now seem to be resolved.

Two remaining issues that I experience on Gnome 43 (Fedora 37)
                - A chrome window with just the chrome logo is created
                - Alt-Tab shows a list of (black) chrome windows that I cannot switch to. I suspect this may be caused by those chrome windows being mapped to a now not attached display. As I have a different multi-monitor setup between work and home.

Comment

I'm using Arch + KDE. I believe I'm using the official stable branch directly from Google.

I think it's more likely that one of my other Chrome flags is causing the problem if this is not a widespread issue.

Just to clarify, videos work fine and images in most sites render with no problems at all. Using Chrome through xwayland does not have the image glitch.

How do you fix the pointer issue?
                  I state that this works with flatpak applications and KDE....

Edit. Sorry but I posted a solution to the icon problem they asked for elsewhere and reversed the posts.
                  For the pointer problem
                  Code:
                  cp /usr/share/icons ~/.icons -r

Code:
                  flatpak --user override com.discordapp.Discord --filesystem=/home/$USER/.icons/:ro
                  Last edited by Charlie68; 23 November 2022, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Really happy to see the Pipewire support in WebRTC stabilize.Camera support is also getting closer, allowing not only better sandboxing and concurrent camera use, but also enabling a bunch of new cameras to work through the libcamera backend, see https://webrtc-review.googlesource.com/c/src/+/261620

Comment

Working...
                    X