Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tawheed
    replied
    ONE question: do professionals uses gimp and what's the purpose of this program?

Leave a comment:

• scottishduck
    replied
    They might get 3.0 out the door before GTK4 is EOL

Leave a comment:

• prokoudine
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbine View Post
    I decided to try Gimp again last week, and gosh. The user interface is terrible, especially the way things work. It's a little bit better with the Photoshop layout, but I couldn't ever use it for serious workloads. Hopefully GTK3 improves this a little.
    The more inspecific comments people leave elsewhere (as opposed to specific reports in the bugtracker), the less fixes they will get. Up to you, I guess?​

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Many complained about the multi-window layout but since long ago there is a "Single-Window Mode" option under the Window menu.
    The single-window mode was optional only in v2.8. It's been enabled by default since v2.10 (and its pre-releases).

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by paulocoghi View Post
    Congratulations for the GIMP developers. I'm proudly using it since 2000 for professional use, even remembering the 1.2 version release.

Since you use GIMP professionally and make your money using it, have you contributed or donated to make sure it stays a viable option and improves?

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
    I decided to try Gimp again last week, and gosh. The user interface is terrible, especially the way things work. It's a little bit better with the Photoshop layout, but I couldn't ever use it for serious workloads. Hopefully GTK3 improves this a little.
    Maybe it is not so bad, maybe it just different from what you're used to.

Many complained about the multi-window layout but since long ago there is a "Single-Window Mode" option under the Window menu.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    By the time GIMP 3.0 gets released as stable, GTK 3 will be old, years after the last security/bugfix patch, and won't even work on then-current distributions... LOL.
    Porting from GTK 2 to GTK 3 is a big undertaking, but porting from GTK 3 to GTK 4 is easier.

Leave a comment:

• omer666
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    By the time GIMP 3.0 gets released as stable, GTK 3 will be old, years after the last security/bugfix patch, and won't even work on then-current distributions... LOL.
    Joke aside, considering Nautilus only just got a stable release on GTK4, and that a lot of core GNOME and Linux software is still GTK3, it's not too late for the GIMP 3.0

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• prokoudine
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    I would hope they would make it possible to manually scale the tool icons for HiDPI so I can set how big they are on my screen. Also, I would hope they would add a GTK Theme drop-down where I can set my own GIMP GTK theme, and icons.
    Both features are available in 2.99.

Leave a comment:

• Turbine
    replied

Leave a comment:

• guara
    replied
    [x] Hunter vs Hunter chapter 391
    [x] Ash Ketchum wins a Pokémon World Championship
    [ ] A Song of Ice and Fire Book 6
    [ ] GIMP 3.0
    [ ] The Year of Desktop GNU/Linux

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Maybe we'll finally see GIMP 3.0 in 2023? - FTA
    2023 The Year of The GIMP ;P

I'm doing a architecture house layout diagram in GIMP right now where everything is measured exactly. It's painful, partially because the workflow is awkward and strange, however I am actually making headway -- and it is doable -- and the crashes from using GIMP-git GTK3 from the last 3 years are mostly gone too which helps a lot.

I still can't do multi-layer actions like Hue-Saturation -- but I figure they'll figure that out eventually.

Tool defaults are still abysmal like somehow wonky Brush Dynamics are automatically enabled which mess up my brush strokes (thankfully I am adapting and improvising)

I primarily draw on Sway so I also am encountering a brush input problem where the strokes are boxy and recangular instead of vector line looking -- it's almost an art of itself.

GIMP has come a long way, I hear the community most excited about CYMK, I would hope they would make it possible to manually scale the tool icons for HiDPI so I can set how big they are on my screen. Also, I would hope they would add a GTK Theme drop-down where I can set my own GIMP GTK theme, and icons.

As a 20+ year Photoshop user, it's painful but it's time to bury Adobe. I would rather suffer though the rough edges and a few papercuts and use GIMP natively than buy and use software from the company that ruined the planet with Subscription Services as a matter of principle.

GIMP 3 will be wildly popular and draw so much new interest -- the upgrades are substantial and a game changer for most people even if every niche feature isn't in yet.

I really hope GIMP 3 gets the Blender treatment and some large donors to drop 1M donations that could really help out development.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X