Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 107 Released With Power Profiling Support On Linux

Phoronix: Firefox 107 Released With Power Profiling Support On Linux

Firefox 107 has been released as stable today by Mozilla...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doesn't AMD CPUs have compatibility with RAPL too?
    Couldn't this be done also for AMD CPUs?

Comment

How is this "first feature release of the year" when the year is already coming to an end and it was stated that this release doesn't contain features?

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        How is this "first feature release of the year" when the year is already coming to an end and it was stated that this release doesn't contain features?
        The first line is wrong, but it *does* contain features: in the Android version, Total Cookie Protection is now officially available. I would call that a feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Doesn't AMD CPUs have compatibility with RAPL too?
          Couldn't this be done also for AMD CPUs?
          i did find this: https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla...._overview.html

all they talk about is intel specific stuff. i guess if amd has something similar, both are too different to have a single universal solution. i guess mozilla just sided with intel's technology.

Comment

Firefox 107 doesn't build on Python 3.11

Comment

I just tried power profiling on Linux with Firefox 107 on my 12th gen Intel core i5 and AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 9. They both worked with the RAPL framework, but the Intel part shows three different power measurements (including iGPU, which my Ryzen does not have). The Ryzen only shows the full package power use. This is consistent with the RAPL reporting I have seen on Ryzen, which is that it shows up in the "Intel" RAPL location, but with fewer measurement points. However, it still shows useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha64 View Post
                I just tried power profiling on Linux with Firefox 107 on my 12th gen Intel core i5 and AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 9. They both worked with the RAPL framework, but the Intel part shows three different power measurements (including iGPU, which my Ryzen does not have). The Ryzen only shows the full package power use. This is consistent with the RAPL reporting I have seen on Ryzen, which is that it shows up in the "Intel" RAPL location, but with fewer measurement points. However, it still shows useful information.
                Thanks for testing and clarification (doing Mozilla's job)

Comment

- Added ability to analyze power consumption on Linux and macOS systems with Intel processors (previously, power profiling was only available on systems with Windows 11 and Apple computers with the M1 chip) to the profiling interface (Performance tab in the developer tools).
                  - Implemented CSS properties "contain-intrinsic-size", "contain-intrinsic-width", "contain-intrinsic-height", "contain-intrinsic-block-size" and "contain-intrinsic-inline-size" that allow you to specify the element size to use regardless of the effect on child element size (for example, when increasing the child element size may stretch the parent element). The proposed properties allow the browser to determine the size immediately, without having to wait for the child elements to be rendered. Setting "auto" to fix the size will use the last drawn size of the element.
                  - Tools for web developers have simplified the debugging of WebExtension-based add-ons. The "--devtools" option (webext run --devtools) has been added to webext utility to automatically open a browser window with tools for web developers, for example, to detect the cause of an error. Inspection of popup windows has been simplified. A Reload button has been added to the panel to reload WebExtension after making code changes.
                  - Performance of Windows 11 22H2 Windows builds was improved on link handling in IME (Input Method Editor) and Microsoft Defender subsystems.

Improvements in Android version:
                  - Added Total Cookie Protection mode, which previously only applied when opening sites in private browsing mode and when selecting strict mode to block unwanted content (strict). Total Cookie Protection uses a separate, isolated cookie store for each site, which prevents cookies from being used to track movement between sites since all cookies set from third-party blocks (iframes, js, etc.) uploaded to the site are linked to the site from which the blocks were downloaded and are not transferred when these blocks are accessed from other sites.
                  - Proactive loading of intermediate certificates to reduce the number of errors when opening sites via HTTPS.
                  - Enabled content augmentation on selection in site texts.
                  - Added support for image selection panels (Image keyboard, a mechanism for sending images and other multimedia content directly to text editing forms in apps), introduced since Android 7.1.

Comment

I still avoid Firefox due to concerns regarding behavior of execs.
                    Has there been any serious code audit of firefox?

Comment

Working...
                    X