Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony Adds DualShock 4 Controller Support To Their Newer Linux PlayStation Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Adds DualShock 4 Controller Support To Their Newer Linux PlayStation Driver

Phoronix: Sony Adds DualShock 4 Controller Support To Their Newer Linux PlayStation Driver

Going back eight years to Linux 3.15 there has been Sony DualShock 4 controller support using the "hid-sony" driver thanks to work from the open-source community. But now Sony is adding DualShock 4 controller support to their newer "hid-playstation" driver that they started for PlayStation 5 controller support and are now extending it backwards for the PS4 controller...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice!

Comment

Can you connect multiple PS5 controllers via bluetooth on linux, or is is limited to just one controller?

Comment

15 years ago a news like this would be unimaginable. The year of the linux desktop is getting more real with each year!

Comment

Wonderful.
          Good job Sony and thank you very much!

Comment

Does this actually bring any new functionality over the old driver? Using my DualShock 4 daily with both bluetooth and USB and it's been working flawlessly...

Comment

Very nice with official support!

The PlayStation 5 controller is quite amazing!
              I think it is the best controller out there, it is much better than competing controllers such as the Xbox controllers.
              It has a rumble that rumbles in different parts and it changes where in the controller it rumbles.
              It has buttons that have programmable resistance so you have to push harder or softer.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                On Christmas Eve 2022, Sony published an official Linux driver for the PlayStation 5 DualSense controllers.​
                They published it... from the future! Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
                  Can you connect multiple PS5 controllers via bluetooth on linux, or is is limited to just one controller?
                  Actually bought a couple PS5 controllers yesterday, and the answer is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by katt View Post
                    Does this actually bring any new functionality over the old driver? Using my DualShock 4 daily with both bluetooth and USB and it's been working flawlessly...
                    I've been wondering the same thing. Honestly seems a little pointless to me and might just simply complicate things, though, the official drivers probably work a little more consistently.
                    Also, seems like the built in audio chip still doesn't work, which is pretty much the only thing that would convince me to switch.

Comment

Working...
                    X