Microsoft .NET 7 Released With Better Linux Support, Improved Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    C# is a great programming language for backends, much better than any other language or ecosystem on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I've always felt .Net's strength is its tight integration with Office and other Microsoft stuff that doesn't exist on Linux anyway. A plain language for backends is not something the Linux ecosystem is short of.
      But it is short on frameworks to be used for Microsoft's flagship product Microsoft 365, or whatever they're calling it this month, on server backends. Granted enterprises aren't going to be migrating away from Windows Server for core services, but there are some using Linux servers for web services add ons to current offerings and in-house productivity. Linux for web servers, Windows Server for everything else in most enterprises unless they use a mainframe. They have to be able to talk to each other and .Net framework is one way to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post
        Who wants to run .Net on Linux? It feels like a "sacrilege" to me :}
        As someone who has been using Linux since the 90s and UNIX before that, please don't turn Linux into a religion.

Comment

C# is a great programming language for backends, much better than any other language or ecosystem on Linux.
          ​

When you (and others) say that .NET is great for backends, what do you mean? Backends for hyperscaler websites (I don't think any of those except maybe Microsoft themselves use .NET)? Backends for banks? Backends for news sites? Backends for internals business systems? Maybe backends for self driving cars (okay I know this one is obviously not the right answer)?

This is so far removed from the type of development I do in my current AI research and the embedded safety critical hard real time development I did before, that I have no frame of reference.
          Last edited by Vorpal; 09 November 2022, 03:12 PM. Reason: Oops, quoted wrong post initially. Fixed it.

Comment

From my usage, .net ocuppies the same space as java. People that dislike java will probably hate .net.
            Other than that and from a programming language point of view both are good at what they aim (more or less code once, deploy anywhere there is a runtime).

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Yeah, much better than Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl and PHP. Better than Java, it is like a better Java than Java, it is what Java should have been.
              Much better than JavaScript where pulling in one package pulls down thousands of packages and your node_modules directory contains hundreds of thousands of files.

People can hate Microsoft however much they want, but C# and .NET is great. C# got much better with .NET 6 with implicit usings and nullable references, and now with the latest version it got generic attributes. After coding in Rust I wish C# had support for algebraic data types so I can have Result<T, E> as return type.

Comment

Originally posted by ranixon View Post
                Mir is dead, there is no point on supported. Xorg will die, maybe is worth support it, Wayland should be suooported.
                Mir is not dead. It is an implementation of Wayland now.

X.Org is a display server and an implementation of the X11 protocol.

Comment

Is it just me or since Microsoft embraced open-source, .NET became an increasingly impressive framework?

I can still remember the time when Java & .NET were (kind of) toe to toe (with .NET being arguably better except for cross-platform). And I choose the wrong path...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Mir is not dead. It is an implementation of Wayland now.

X.Org is a display server and an implementation of the X11 protocol.
                    Yes, I should clarified it

Comment

People can hate Microsoft however much they want, but C# and .NET is great. C# got much better with .NET 6 with implicit usings and nullable references, and now with the latest version it got generic attributes. After coding in Rust I wish C# had support for algebraic data types so I can have Result&lt;T, E&gt; as return type.
                      F# has wonderful algebraic data-types. It starts from a similar base concept as Rust, except:
                      1) it has a bit more Python-inspired syntax,
                      2) you don't get to fight with memory ownership (F# has garbage collector) but rather F# applies the type-system magic to actual domain problem solving.

I was struggling with C# in my previous job (it just felt clumsy and unnecessarily verbose and I always felt C# had a lack of expressiveness), but then I found F# and I'm sold ever since.
                      It's really an amazing language and the community is awesome.

F# is not a hard-core (Haskell style) functional language, but rather a normal language that gently tries to promote functional principles first (including immutability, value semantics, etc.), yet won't get in the way when you decide to program something in OOP style.

And it has amazing free open-source tooling: VS Code with "Ionide F#" extension is on the level of proper Visual Studio for C# or JetBrains tooling for some other languages. Runs perfectly on Linux.

P.S. For context, I've been programing for about 40 years (Basic, Pascal, C, C++, Prolog, Perl, Java, Python, Javascript, C#, Swift, F#, ...) and I find F# by far the best thing I've encountered so far. By a large margin.
                      Last edited by pkese; 09 November 2022, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X