Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.3.214 Released With New AMD Vendor Extension

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.3.214 Released With New AMD Vendor Extension

Just one week after Vulkan 1.3.213 released with its four new extensions, which included an update to the ray-tracing support, Vulkan 1.3.214 is out today with various fixes while introducing just one new extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to see AMD continuing to support and improve this API!
    I wish they would try to solve the HDR problem too.
    It's so strange that I can use an AMD RX 570 GPU with Windows 7 and MPC-HC+MadVr to send a movie+HDR metadata to a TV and on Linux, with the same GPU I just can't!
    It's not like Windows 7 had any idea what HDR is and created an API for it when it was created so it's definitely just the video player and the driver, but mostly the Windows driver that is able to pass HDR metadata to the TV, while on Linux it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Good to see AMD continuing to support and improve this API!
      I wish they would try to solve the HDR problem too.
      It's so strange that I can use an AMD RX 570 GPU with Windows 7 and MPC-HC+MadVr to send a movie+HDR metadata to a TV and on Linux, with the same GPU I just can't!
      It's not like Windows 7 had any idea what HDR is and created an API for it when it was created so it's definitely just the video player and the driver, but mostly the Windows driver that is able to pass HDR metadata to the TV, while on Linux it doesn't.
      But this has nothing to do with AMD, drivers are not the problem. The issue is due to neither X.Org nor Wayland supporting HDR. For X.Org, there is no easy/good solution without breaking backwards compatibility. Any X.Org support would likely be an ugly hack that would be heavily compromised feature wise, similar to multi-monitor dpi scaling. Wayland, on the other hand, should support HDR properly once color management support has fully landed.

Comment

Working...
      X