Wine 6.0 Release Preparations Begin In Two Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowlands View Post
    I hope they include the ability to drag-and-drop from a Windows app to X11 (or even Wayland). There's this bug with partial patch:
    WineHQ Bugzilla – Bug 26865 – Cannot drag-drop extract files (WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc.)
    Anyone know any other bugs where this is discussed or tracked?
    I developed the patch for that bug in 2015. It's good to know people appreciate my contributions . What app do you use that requires this feature?

Wine's windowing code (winex11.drv) is hard to understand, and to implement this well I'd need to understand X11 in some detail too. Which is going to be needed at some stage anyway, to fix other bugs I have with Wine (like Alt+Tab from a Wine window moving it to the back of the window chain, so Alt+Shift+Tab is needed to return to it).

In the new approach I would take, most/all DnD code would move down from OLE32 to winex11.drv:

OLE32 DoDragDrop()
    USER32
    winex11.drv

and then winex11.drv would implement the entire drag loop within it, searching both native and Wine windows for drop targets.

I am busy with so many other open source contributions that I don't know when I'll have time for this one, but like I said, I'll definitely have to look at winex11.drv some time.

Comment

Originally posted by dacha View Post

I developed the patch for that bug in 2015. It's good to know people appreciate my contributions . What app do you use that requires this feature?

Wine's windowing code (winex11.drv) is hard to understand, and to implement this well I'd need to understand X11 in some detail too. Which is going to be needed at some stage anyway, to fix other bugs I have with Wine (like Alt+Tab from a Wine window moving it to the back of the window chain, so Alt+Shift+Tab is needed to return to it).

In the new approach I would take, most/all DnD code would move down from OLE32 to winex11.drv:

OLE32 DoDragDrop()
      USER32
      winex11.drv

and then winex11.drv would implement the entire drag loop within it, searching both native and Wine windows for drop targets.

I am busy with so many other open source contributions that I don't know when I'll have time for this one, but like I said, I'll definitely have to look at winex11.drv some time.
      Thanks for your comment and cool to hear from you I very much appreciate your contributions! \o/ And thanks for having a look at at winex11.drv whenever that is. The use case is DnD from a Windows VST plugin (via yabridge & wine) into a Digital Audio Workstation app like Ardour. The Win VST plugin creates for example a MIDI sequence (a bunch of chords) and you want to drag and drop that into a track in Ardour. I guess this may not be the simplest of use cases but it sure would be great if that worked. Feel free to ping me any time if you would like to further discuss this.
      Last edited by lowlands; 24 November 2020, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X