PulseAudio 14 Is Releasing Soon With Better USB Gaming Headset Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Just because some distros (cough UBUNTU cough) are GARBAGE and had issues with it, doesn't mean Pulseaudio was bad.
    fixed

Comment

Originally posted by ipsirc View Post
      Pulseaudio had a lot of memory leaks, ate 700-800MB ram for nothing and use 100% of one core - these things are bad to me.
      When and on what distro. Sounds like Ubuntu in 14.xx to me.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Never had this problem in Ubuntu so this is probably located to a specific set of hardware combined with a specific set of software.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
          Never had this problem in Ubuntu so this is probably located to a specific set of hardware combined with a specific set of software.
          Most likely, most of the "pulseaudio bugs" were in fact ALSA driver (i.e. software-based but hardware-specific) bugs that were just exposed when kicked into high gear by Pulseaudio. In many cases this had to be "fixed" in Pulseaudio side by adding quirks and stuff.

The point remains, this was most apparent in older Ubuntu releases as they routinely shipped random Pulseaudio versions and "forgot" to update them or backport fixes

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            On any distro. I've compiled from source. You can look for those bugs at pulseaudio-bugs mailing list, or read the verbose changelog carefully when they fixed these huge errors.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Ubuntu did a very dirty workaround for this: kills pulseaudio process when there were no audio for one second. So you haven't notice huge memleaks when you haven't played music for hours without any little break. (You can read about it in changelogs, it was a very well known bug.)

Comment

On any distro. I've compiled from source.
                Compiling from source does not exclude user error or some library bug that is not there in another distro. This is valid also for LFS setups, so "on any distro" is debatable.

Still, there is no answer on the "when".

You can look for those bugs at pulseaudio-bugs mailing list, or read the verbose changelog carefully when they fixed these huge errors.
                "look it up" is not an answer, you made the statement, you have to back it up if someone asks for more info.

You can't ask people to wast their time looking through bugtrackers or changelogs at an unspecified revision or point in time for an unknown bug report title or number to prove your own point.

If you have reported such things or you think it is "well known" you should be able to find it again in minutes.

Comment

Ubuntu did a very dirty workaround for this: kills pulseaudio process when there were no audio for one second. So you haven't notice huge memleaks when you haven't played music for hours without any little break. (You can read about it in changelogs, it was a very well known bug.)
                  And by which mechanism did they perform this culling of pulse? Upstart didn't have a feature for this. I've also played music non stop for hours on end without seeing this problem.

Comment

Ignorant users always mock things they do not understand. Pulseaudio was a superior solution even 10 years ago.
                    Agreed.

Just because some distros (cough UBUNTU cough) were GARBAGE and had issues with it, doesn't mean Pulseaudio was bad.
                    You should have stopped before going the moronic way.

Comment

Working...
                    X