Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darktable 3.0 RC1 Released With Greater Undo/Redo Support, More SSE Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ilphrin View Post
    It seems like people are having some personal issues about GTK3 here x')
    It's more about personal issues with fanbois.

Comment

It seems like people are having some personal issues about GTK3 here x')

I was really waiting for this awesome 3.0 version, even though it is still a release candidate! New tag management, themable UI (thanks GTK3 0 ), RGB filmic module, basic adjustments modules, etc... so much new toys to have fun with
      Because neither GTK2 nor Qt is themable?

Comment

Are there some screenshots of those nice new GTK3 themes ?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Because neither GTK2 nor Qt is themable?
          Sure! But Darktable is in GTK3, am I right? And anyway, GTK3 have some new classes, selectors and updates over GTK2 for theming ^^

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            GTK3 looks very good. Beautiful by default and 100% themable.
            Ironically DarkTable uses custom controls theming, so it, well, irrelevant. And it maybe themable but what really suxx about it: they break theming each and every release. They just can't settle down and get it right. So every time new GTK3 version out, that "100% themable" thing causes hell a lot pain in the rear to anyone who dared to actually rely on that.

And erm, say, Qt is also themable. Well, even GTK2 is. Or even some exotic things like E16/17. Guess only ancient/totally abandoned toolkits could have that problem.

Comment

Sure! But Darktable is in GTK3, am I right? And anyway, GTK3 have some new classes, selectors and updates over GTK2 for theming ^^
              It gone full blown CSS if I remember. And fucked up toolkit performance to nowhere as the result. More interesting is that they do major shuffling and "deprecation" nearly every release, screwing themes up all the time. So if someone dreamed to live on active volcano, try GTK3 with heavily customized theme. That would do.

Comment

bug77 Please stay on-topic. Darktable is GTK3. The many themes are GTK3 themes.

Some of the themes are actually pretty good. Not just nice visuals but also high usability. You should try it.
                Topic is Darktable, not GTK alleged superiority

Comment

SystemCrasher Observations from this RC. It’s faster than than the latest 2.x version. Themes look the same on GTK3.22 and GTK3.24.
                  Come on, you're just making a fool out of yourself.

Comment

SystemCrasher Observations from this RC. It’s faster than than the latest 2.x version. Themes look the same on GTK3.22 and GTK3.24.
                    I meant GTK theming engine overall. Darktable and its custom theming aren't prone to bugs and fallouts, unlike system-wide themes. Fortunately. Maybe because theming is relatively simple and there is limited subset of controls or so. Well, DarkTable is quite good program and its devs seems to more or less care about quality and fix bugs.

I even stumbled on truly arcane bugs, like, say, if I try to use VLC with particular GTK theme (yes, its Qt app, but Qt got means to render via GTK engine for the sake of consistent look) ... VLC eventually crashes. No, not immediately, after playing some songs. Guess where? Deep deep down inside there is some weird assertion in GTK3, which elects to totally terminate app. Change theme ... and everything is fine. Hell, gnome theming never stops surprising me. If we can call pissing me off by app termination or weird appearance a surprise. Needless to say I don't fully share views on perfect state of things with GTK theming - I think it leaves hell a lot to be desired and suffers from permanent api redesigns and resulting quality problems. And even if particular program (DarkTable) manages to wing it, many other programs do not. And it causes quite some fallouts.
                    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 16 November 2019, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X