Flatpak 1.0 Is En Route For Linux App Sandboxing & Easy Program Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post

It is an idea concocted by developers who think that the normal PC configuration is Intel core -I7 with 16GB memory and oodles of disk space. Yet, on the other hand they fantasize of running this software on the Purism phone.
    Then don't use Flatpaks if you don't like them. They're not replacing apt, dnf, pacman, ebuilds or any of the other packaging software out there. There are some legitimate use cases for Flatpak and it works for some people. But this isn't like Apple or MS upgrades, nobody is taking away your choice to use alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Deduplication is done at a file level in ostree which is what Flatpak uses
      ok so I'm fine. It would be really dump to have something installed with synaptic/repo etc. then flatpack reinstalls his app dependencies to another location.

Comment

I hope this means more linux apps will work with ChromeOS/Cloudready (www.neverware.com). I wonder if FF could be started this way in the near future on ChromeOS and AnyDesk would be nice too, both don't work atm on Cloudready.

Comment

FlatPak is great.
          Actually that's the feature which made me try Linux.

We live in time where storage space is dirt cheap.
          Instead of this hell of dependencies and versions in Linux it is about time to crate independent bundles.
          It should have been done years ago...
          Last edited by Royi; 17 July 2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

As a developer I think that Flatpak is great. Package once run everywhere. They solved so many issues. And it runs fine on lower end hardware.

Comment

Working...
            X