Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.04's Automatic Suspend Shows Linux Suspend Can Still Be An Issue In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04's Automatic Suspend Shows Linux Suspend Can Still Be An Issue In 2018

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04's Automatic Suspend Shows Linux Suspend Can Still Be An Issue In 2018

One of the subtle changes that seemed to have been made during the Ubuntu 18.04 development cycle is automatic suspend now being enabled by default on desktop systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will always be an issue as long as Nvidia wants open source developers to do as they demand and not like the sane rest of the world:

Comment

It doesn't have anything to do with nVidia. It has to do with Gnome crap handling of anything related to displays, lock screens, log outs or screensavers.

I deactivated Automatic suspend first thing after installing my system just as shown in the article. Didn't work. Then I uninstalled gnome-screensaver and even deactivated anything related to lock screens, screensavers and automatic suspend in dconf. Still, the screen was going blank or to screensaver when idle or locking when switching input channel on the AV receiver. Problem is, with current amdgpu any of these would end up in X hanging or the system to crash when resuming.

I resolved to install Keep awake! extension as caffeine is no longer working. It still is quite buggy but it at least it mostly works.

There was no such issue in Unity.
      Last edited by Mez'; 24 March 2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Yeah I was surprised by this too. Worked fine on my desktop but I disabled it anyway, don't want it...

Comment

ITs' a shame. WHat is the cause?

Comment

it should be an ACPI issue though.

Comment

WTF, are Ubuntu's developers stupider than I thought?
              Can't they just stop with these "We are smarter than the user and we're turning on things by default for him/her" ?
              I bet that after a year or so a lot of users with normal hard disks (not SSDs) will complain that their hard drives died of all these on/off power cycles.
              Now I can't ever recommend Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, to my friends because of this crap.
              And I thought that the worst thing in Ubuntu 18.04 is the introduction of spyware (data collection), and now I hear about this...
              I can't even decide which is worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                It doesn't have anything to do with nVidia. It has to do with Gnome crap handling of anything related to displays, lock screens, log outs or screensavers.
                Well, sad to hear. When I received my RX 560 in January, I tested all of the DPMS and suspend stuff and everything was working nicely with Plasma Xorg + Compton on Arch.

Comment

I don't about you guys, but I think it is stupid do this on desktop machines and laptops with the charger plugged.

Comment

anyone has an FM2+ moterboard by asrock?

Comment

Working...
                    X