Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 7.3 Scheduled For Release On Thursday

Phoronix: GCC 7.3 Scheduled For Release On Thursday

SUSE's Richard Biener is making preparations for officially releasing GCC 7.3.0 on Thursday, 25 January...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
    "BULLSHIT... As it is, the patches are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE... WHAT THE F*CK IS GOING ON?" -- Linus Torvalds

What he said... LOL

Classic Torvalds.

For those more interested in the content, he is ranting about the fact that the patches he got are doing "insane" things for "unclear" reasons, and that their patches are more to cover their ass from legal issues by creating an option that gives a large performance hit that (so won't be used by default) than actually fixing the issue at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven
      Classic Torvalds
      [..]
      Classy Torvalds.. I would say. Nothing justifies his behavior. He will always answer back that he's being honest and not politically correct.. and that he has to make his point clear just to avoid any potential misunderstanding.. Oh, he must feel really proud of his "strong opinions".. well, we have politicians here that would use the same arguments just to feel allowed to say whatever they want against black people. Nobody is saying he has to be nice, he just needs to remember he's a man, not a filthy bully.. am I wrong? Am I??

Comment

If I were a kernel developer, I'd probably just send in an occasional intentionally crappy patch just to troll him into ranting. He is easily triggered.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
          Classy Torvalds.. I would say. Nothing justifies his behavior. He will always answer back that he's being honest and not politically correct.. and that he has to make his point clear just to avoid any potential misunderstanding.. Oh, he must feel really proud of his "strong opinions".. well, we have politicians here that would use the same arguments just to feel allowed to say whatever they want against black people. Nobody is saying he has to be nice, he just needs to remember he's a man, not a filthy bully.. am I wrong? Am I??
          Torvalds is a man, yes. And as such he has flaws but so far he manages to funnel them better than most in his position.

Torvalds rarely if ever attacks the person. All his flaming is usually directed towards the code submitted or companies. And he is more often right than not.

No racism, no personal attacks, no bullying (he did scold some of his top maintainers when they did screw up, but they are not exactly lowly peasants).

This puts him on a significantly higher moral standing than any dirtbag politician trying to use "freedom of speech" or other bullshit to not get a good sound beating when going racist/xenophobic/kindergarden-grade insults on whatever is their target.

Comment

He feels this is the only way people will take him seriously over text communication. It would have been different if all Linux kernel developers worked in the same building where they could easily go to each other's offices for comments.

Most Linux developers don't mind his aggressive language with a few exceptions such as Sarah Sharp and even in her case, Intel had a female developer apologize later on lkml on behalf of Intel.

Comment

Classy Torvalds.. I would say. Nothing justifies his behavior. He will always answer back that he's being honest and not politically correct.. and that he has to make his point clear just to avoid any potential misunderstanding..
              I disagree, consistently being able to put out a quality product justifies his behavior very well, as well as the willingness of people to accept this treatment. While I personally don't like his tone, technical excellence is more important than people's feelings.

Oh, he must feel really proud of his "strong opinions".. well, we have politicians here that would use the same arguments just to feel allowed to say whatever they want against black people.
              You can say pretty hurtful things with a vocabulary that is free of profanity. Politics in your home country don't have anything to do with kernel development.

Nobody is saying he has to be nice, he just needs to remember he's a man, not a filthy bully.. am I wrong? Am I??
              Bullying means picking on people who can't defend themselves for things they can't do anything about.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                I disagree, consistently being able to put out a quality product justifies his behavior very well, as well as the willingness of people to accept this treatment. While I personally don't like his tone, technical excellence is more important than people's feelings.
                That's because you are a robot, I'm a human being instead.

So you basically think that the ends justify the means. Then kiss my ass, I'm a great developer.

You can say pretty hurtful things with a vocabulary that is free of profanity. Politics in your home country don't have anything to do with kernel development.
                I didn't say politics has something to do with the kernel, or are you dumb enough (sorry, I'm not being politically correct just as you like) to believe I did? I said that Torvalds usually justifies himself with the usual arguments that assholes use to feel allowed to say anything.

Bullying means picking on people who can't defend themselves for things they can't do anything about.
                BULLSHIT : )

Let's be clear on one thing: Torvalds is the dictator in his land. And there are many people there who HAVE TO DEAL WITH HIM NO MATTER HOW HE BEHAVES.

Comment

That's because you are a robot, I'm a human being instead.

So you basically think that the ends justify the means. Then kiss my ass, I'm a great developer.
                  So you stoop to personal insults the moment someone disagrees with you, yet blame Torvalds for using coarse language? As a developer, haven't you ever had cases where people are submitting broken or bad code again and again?

I didn't say politics has something to do with the kernel, or are you dumb enough (sorry, I'm not being politically correct just as you like) to believe I did? I said that Torvalds usually justifies himself with the usual arguments that assholes use to feel allowed to say anything.
                  Once again, calling me dumb instead of calling what I said dumb makes quite the difference. I think you're using a false equivalence here, someone hiding behind political incorrectness to justify their racism is a lot different from someone using expletives in code reviews.

BULLSHIT : )

Let's be clear on one thing: Torvalds is the dictator in his land. And there are many people there who HAVE TO DEAL WITH HIM NO MATTER HOW HE BEHAVES.
                  Nobody forces anyone to work on the Linux kernel tree or even submit their patches to Torvalds, some people maintain their own kernel trees because they don't want to deal with the review process (see for example the CK series). If this is a net loss and the kernel would be better served with someone nice and fluffy has to be proven. So I call bullshit on your bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                  X