systemd Breached One Million Lines Of Code In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    1 million lines... wow. That is quite a monster.
    i take it you don't use linux kernel which is dozens of times bigger monster
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    I wonder if that will happen to systemD one day, too.
    it won't, because systemD exists only in your imagination

Comment

Originally posted by FishB8 View Post
      That had absolutely nothing to do with systemd. That's distro maintainers wanting their boot loaders and boot process to feature a lot of useless candy because they think it is appealing to noobs. Thing is, people who are drawn to that are generally not the type who should be getting into Linux.

I've been using Gentoo for over 15 years, the last 5 with systemd and I still show all the text terminal output during boot.
      Not sure that I agree with you there. The boot messages scroll by so fast on a modern computer that it's almost useless. Sure, on my first PC back in the early 1990's, an i486 DX 33Mhz with 8 MB of RAM, booting up Slackware took minutes and you could read each message in detail - but this doesn't work anymore on modern hardware, particularly on machines booting from SSD.

Run 'dmesg' if you want to see the kernel messages since bootup, and 'cat /var/log/boot.log' to see the screen output of the init system starting up the services. Between those two, you have a complete picture of the machine's boot process, without having to read at Superman speed where if you blink you've missed it.

FWIW I've been on Red Hat for 23 years (since 1995) and have Red Hat certification on RHEL 5, 6, and 7.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 02 January 2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pjezek View Post
        Good job, but isn't it the right time to cleaning up the code? (1)
        More rows of the code have not significant correlation with quality of the code.(2)
        lol
        if (2) is correct then answer to (1) is 'no'
        btw, you seem to imply that scope and functionality of code does not change, they are just adding code out of boredom
        which is not very smart

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
          Linux rules on the desktop today because of people like Poettering.
          evil poettering destroyed slackware 1.0 desktop domination

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            Except that (last time i checked) you can't choose what to install...
            check in the correct place then
            Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            The day that SystemD is fully modular, distros can pick whatever they want, each new release is focused on speed and stability, is the day that i stop bitching about it.
            you are lying, that day was long ago and you are still bitching

Comment

yes, we are well aware that systemd is a set of tools. But in many cases no one asked for them. The only reason why such tools exist is because pottering think that he knows better how to implement it. For example one of the first things that canonical so called devs broke by switching to sysytemd was power management. Lid close events were not configurable in xfce4-power-manager, neither pm-utils hooks were called any longer (i don't care if it's outdated or not, i'm still using it). Now systemd creates lots of garbage files all over the place (like binary log blobs) which makes it harder to control. For embedded systems is is crucial because of limited NAND erase cycles. How can I use a circular log buffer in memory with systemd? So currently systemd works full scale in embedded linux distributions there because nobody were able to separate so called systemd set of tools from each other for some reason. Is million loc the reason maybe? And no, I can't get rid of systemd because distr packages rely of systemd and to ditch it i'd have to package myself which would render distr useless for me.

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
                Now systemd creates lots of garbage files all over the place (like binary log blobs) which makes it harder to control. For embedded systems is is crucial because of limited NAND erase cycles. How can I use a circular log buffer in memory with systemd?
                Second sentence - https://www.freedesktop.org/software....html#Storage=

If "volatile", journal log data will be stored only in memory, i.e. below the /run/log/journal hierarchy (which is created if needed).

Comment

"Reached" or "surpassed" seems better then "breached". My first thought was there was a security bug.

Comment

yes, we are well aware that systemd is a set of tools. But in many cases no one asked for them.
                    no one of voices in your head? nobody cares about voices in your head
                    And no, I can't get rid of systemd because distr packages rely of systemd and to ditch it i'd have to package myself which would render distr useless for me.
                    feel free to produce distro for idiots, it will surely be popular

Comment

did it replace the Linux kernel already and become a freestanding OS yet? ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X