• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"To those snarkingly replying about Rust", see the title of this page:
    Schaller On Linux In 2018: Rust Rules, [...]
    :-D

Comment

"Rust puts itself on a clear trajectory to replace C and C++ for low level programming"
      I see that happening to be honest, mostly because to really improve C and C++ as a language.... you are going to need to toss backwards comparability with older versions of the language out the window. What C and C++ have are structural issues that are historic to both of them and there has been a need for an substitute for a while now. I am not sure if Rust is that language, but 2018 will be a year for it to prove itself now that we are beginning to see the benefits from using it (from Mozilla's Firefox Quantum, mainly) in shipped products.

"H265 will be considered a failure"
      Agreed, but... I don't think that I see this in terms of usage, more in terms of extent of usage. H265 will eclipse H264, that it without a doubt but given that there has not been much in the way of developments around the codec, I am not sure that it will be long for the world when AV1 begins to be noticeable. I think just about everyone in that space is waiting to move on to another codec witch clear advantages over H265, so how far is truly going to be used is anyone's guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        To those snarkingly replying about where is Rust in the kernel. What part of the word "trajectory" did you not understand?
        i don't understand in which century rust will put itself on trajectory of replacing c++ in its own compiler by rewriting llvm
        Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        The Rustification of code and apps written in C or C++ including the Linux kernel will continue
        what c++ app including the linux kernel were rustified during first decade of rust existence?
        Last edited by pal666; 16 December 2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KRiloshart View Post
          Are feral ports, ports of windows ports made from consoles or are they ported directly from console?
          From Windows.

His predictions are a little bit out of the roof.

Comment

"The H.265 format will be considred a failure and moving forward all new codecs will be open-source / royalty free"
            it is a prediction of the past
            alliance for open media was formed in 2015 because h265 licensing was considered a failure by industry

Comment

WTF is this bs?

The only relatively on-point part is that Linux gaming is getting competitive.

Everything else is plain nonsense that goes against very hard evidence of the contrary.

Comment

"Major projects
                like GNOME and GStreamer are already adopting Rust at a rapid pace"
                gnome and gstreamer are not written in c++
                and they were rapidly adopting vala in the past, so rapid adoption by gnome is not a good sign

Comment

also he says that ports will be fast because drivers will be improved
                  but drivers are fast already, but some ports just suck
                  only dx12->vulkan or vulkan->vulkan ports can be improved without porters doing better job

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    also he says that ports will be fast because drivers will be improved
                    but drivers are fast already, but some ports just suck
                    only dx12->vulkan or vulkan->vulkan ports can be improved without porters doing better job
                    There will be always performance loss on these semi native ports.

​​​​

Comment

He forgot one: 2018 will be the year of Linux on the desktops.

Comment

Working...
                      X