X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by azdaha View Post
    Interesting.
    From Apple's own documentation:
    The BSD portion of the OS X kernel is derived primarily from FreeBSD, a version of 4.4BSD that offers advanced networking, performance...

Yeah, I am aware. And so is LLVM one integrated component of a FreeBSD's base system. Which would not exist if not for an Apple. Also quite few of Apple's devs are themselves FreeBSD developers.

Originally posted by azdaha View Post
    The point is that "the giant" takes what it needs, locks up everything else, while creating a closed-off ecosystem that leaves the rest of the BSD systems in its dust.
    Therefore, not "BS", it's "BSD" (sorry, couldn't resist). I love FreeBSD, btw. Although, GPL pulls at my heart-strings
    Originally posted by azdaha View Post
    Yeah, takes what it needs, locks up everything else.. - doesn't it apply on Linux as well? Grabs something with a permissive license, brands it as GPL and from that second it's effectively locked out from the original upstream. The exact same behavior.

"Oh, noes - BSD is itself "guilty" of having permissive license allowing it. So they do deserve it. Linux is good"

Demagogy at it's best. Subjective "good" and "evil" categorization depending on your own preconceptions and ideology. If you bash "item A" for a "mortal sin X", then you should not excuse "item L"'s similar behavior, simply because you happen to like "item L" for purely ideological reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

What? The more permissive the better the license. GPL, especially GPL3 takes away far to many freedoms to the point that the code is no longer free.
      The world is not so simple - BSD is better, but not for end users (as GPL), but rather for corporations...

Comment

• Originally posted by aht0 View Post
        Yeah, I am aware. And so is LLVM one integrated component of a FreeBSD's base system. Which would not exist if not for an Apple. Also quite few of Apple's devs are themselves FreeBSD developers.

Yeah, takes what it needs, locks up everything else.. - doesn't it apply on Linux as well? Grabs something with a permissive license, brands it as GPL and from that second it's effectively locked out from the original upstream. The exact same behavior.

"Oh, noes - BSD is itself "guilty" of having permissive license allowing it. So they do deserve it. Linux is good"

Demagogy at it's best. Subjective "good" and "evil" categorization depending on your own preconceptions and ideology. If you bash "item A" for a "mortal sin X", then you should not excuse "item L"'s similar behavior, simply because you happen to like "item L" for purely ideological reasons.
        You may be confusing me with someone who opposes BSD, I don't. As I said, I love FreeBSD. The fact that it's more difficult at least for a single giant to usurp the benefits of GPL to its own purposes while not contributing back, to the same extent, to the community that provides them with those benefits is the support for my claim that GPL licenses lend themselves better to collaboration and overall adoption. Demagogy, believe it or not, is what most GNU, GPL, Linux users are trying to escape and fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by chilek View Post

The world is not so simple - BSD is better, but not for end users (as GPL), but rather for corporations...
          ^^ Very apt statement, except for the very subjective claim of "BSD is better".

Comment

• Originally posted by azdaha View Post

You may be confusing me with someone who opposes BSD, I don't. As I said, I love FreeBSD. The fact that it's more difficult at least for a single giant to usurp the benefits of GPL to its own purposes while not contributing back, to the same extent, to the community that provides them with those benefits is the support for my claim that GPL licenses lend themselves better to collaboration and overall adoption. Demagogy, believe it or not, is what most GNU, GPL, Linux users are trying to escape and fight.
            This whole my-license-is-freer-than-yours tantrum is really funny... sure, the BSD license is more liberal as to what you can do with the code licensed under it, but then again: the ultimate freedom of private property should allow you to keep slaves, if you get my meaning. Ideally no one would want to keep slaves (~only take from an open project without contributing), but in reality a lot of companies will gladly take that option if they are allowed to do so.

Comment

Working...
            X