There's One Week Left To Apply For Outreachy Round 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
    The system should be meritocratic, agreed. But it isn't, so that's why these kind of initiatives are needed.
    These initiatives, just like any other "enshrinment" of minorities don't deal with the systemic issues in the slightest, they are pointless theater at best.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      These initiatives, just like any other "enshrinment" of minorities don't deal with the systemic issues in the slightest, they are pointless theater at best.
      So tell me, how would you deal with these issues?

Comment

"You won't listen to facts" is enough good man, no need to get worked up about it. But why do people seem to despise this kind of positive discrimination (which is neither sexist nor really discriminatory). You don't get worked up because you can't join the Girl Scouts as a boy, you don't complain because you can't join a youth movement as an elderly person now can you?
        I react when people post bullshit, this is just a subset of bs I react to.

The comparison is invalid, as Girl Scout membership or elderly person movement are not a job, so they can't be related to Outreachy (which is about job inequality for women/minorities in IT/opensource, for those still wondering).

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
          Also if a woman actually becomes a software developer, she is likely the kind of person you want to hire. Women normally tend to prefer chemistry to mathematics for example. So yeah, that group needs to be represented more.
          I don't know what is that supposed to mean, I'll talk about one real-life issue of women in technical jobs, as an example, just to show that real problems aren't just "increase representation".

One of the reason women get more shafted in technical job selection in my country is that they can, well, get pregnant, and this can take them off-duty for 6-8 months if not more (last 3-ish months of pregnancy + months afterwards) while still paid as if she worked normally, and their work performance will be degraded for years after the fact.

This is partially true also for men (for example men can do similar, but shorter off-duty times), mind me, but employers are scared of pregnancy.

This seems to be less of an issue in the stereotypical women jobs, where they can be replaced more easily or aren't doing critical tasks anyway.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 October 2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

"You won't listen to facts" is enough good man, no need to get worked up about it. But why do people seem to despise this kind of positive discrimination (which is neither sexist nor really discriminatory). You don't get worked up because you can't join the Girl Scouts as a boy, you don't complain because you can't join a youth movement as an elderly person now can you?
            And yet it was so incredibly important to force the Boy Scouts to accept girls in spite of the Girl Scouts already existing?

seems to me this is your view on equality

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I react when people post bullshit, this is just a subset of bs I react to.

The comparison is invalid, as Girl Scout membership or elderly person movement are not a job, so they can't be related to Outreachy (which is about job inequality for women/minorities in IT/opensource, for those still wondering).
              You postulate your opinion too quickly as fact. "BS" is something that changes from a certain point of view, I won't elaborate because that wouldn't be nice anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

And yet it was so incredibly important to force the Boy Scouts to accept girls in spite of the Girl Scouts already existing?

seems to me this is your view on equality

To reply to your statement: I'm a member of a boy scout and no, we don't accept female members (except as leaders, but not as regular members).

Comment

To reply to your statement: I'm a member of a boy scout and no, we don't accept female members (except as leaders, but not as regular members).
                  I find that incredibly hard to believe as if you were you'd know about the new edicts by the national board, after being forced to accept trans, now they're forced to accept girls into the boy scouts because of Feminism. https://apnews.com/7f690adec7ad45d2a9469baac8e90ac7

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

I find that incredibly hard to believe as if you were you'd know about the new edicts by the national board, after being forced to accept trans, now they're forced to accept girls into the boy scouts because of Feminism. https://apnews.com/7f690adec7ad45d2a9469baac8e90ac7
                    Did you just assume my country? Joking aside, I'm in a Belgian boy scout. We don't have split organizations for boys or girls in the national catholic scouts, but the scout groups themselves can choose to be mixed, girl only or boy only.

Comment

Did you just assume my country? Joking aside, I'm in a Belgian boy scout. We don't have split organizations for boys or girls in the national catholic scouts, but the scout groups themselves can choose to be mixed, girl only or boy only.
                      That's nice but you were referencing the American organization, The Girl Scouts of America however... with the knowledge of it being a private separate organization for women. However recently due to campaigning by NOW the male specific organization is no longer male specific, thanks to assholes just like you. Meanwhile like you said... nobody is complaining about the girl scouts being girl specific, because that would just be "misogynist" now wouldn't it.

Comment

Working...
                      X