No announcement yet.

Mark Shuttleworth Makes More Comments On Ubuntu GNOME, Mir, Convergence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Unity first came out, I was one of those critics too. Because why change the interface so drastically when the old Gnome desktop was working well? After a short time I quickly came to appreciate Unity, its innovatism, interface and performance. Boy was I wrong to criticise it so fast. Have to say it's never been perfect for me, but Gnome wasn't either or any of the other options. I noticed that many users evolved their opinions in the same way. But there were still quite a lot of those die hard Unity haters that really needed to have their opinion heard every time, even though the other options were still available.

With other new Ubuntu (or Mark S.) ideas, people started to hate it massively, without thinking it through or giving it a chance. - x moved to left side, HATE. Even though it's easy as peasy to change it back if you want to. Mark wants to provide a modern solution to the always old and bulky X server, HATE. Amazon shortcut in Dash, HATE. The privacy argument not being applicable here, are we forgetting who keeps paying for all the Ubuntu development?

I think we're lacking a lot of constructive criticism in a lot of open source projects, which is what it should stimulate actually. I think a lot of Ubuntu users are using the wrong distro anyways. If they want full control and few distro specific stuff being forced upon them, go Arch.

I've been more an Arch user on the desktop side nowadays, but I still appreciate all what you're doing Mark S. and Ubuntu team. It's still the #1 distro I install on the PC of people that don't know much about non-Windows stuff. And I see many times that people just like it
    Last edited by EarthMind; 08 April 2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Who cares? I'm disgusted after reading such bullshit, but I'm not crying on forums, because of this. If you're looking for baby sitters go somewhere else. Who belongs this mythic 'Community'? And what community? KDE, Gnome, Unity, Openslowlaris, freebsd, Linux/Windows users, Linux/OS X users, youtube?
      Linux community is every Linux company, developer and user out there, Solaris, FreeBSD, Windows and OSX are not Linux community, the name itself "LINUX community" should ring some bells.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post

I think we're lacking a lot of constructive criticism in a lot of open source projects, which is what it should stimulate actually. I think a lot of Ubuntu users are using the wrong distro anyways. If they want full control and few distro specific stuff being forced upon them, go Arch.

I've been more an Arch user on the desktop side nowadays, but I still appreciate all what your doing Mark S. and Ubuntu team. It's still the #1 distro I install on people that don't know much about non-Windows stuff. And I see many times that people just like it
        Sadly constructive criticism and open source are like fire and water nowadays, they dont mix very well, too many open source special snowflakes out there.

Comment

The point was it's the same with any other 'community', so start using your brain or shut up. Furthermore, there are millions of Linux users and you saw few posts at Phoronix and your judging entire community. You're freaking moron.
          By calling me a moron and telling me to shut up, you just proved my point about the toxicity of one part of the Linux community, congratulations genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Linux community is every Linux company, developer and user out there, Solaris, FreeBSD, Windows and OSX are not Linux community, the name itself "LINUX community" should ring some bells.

So, every Linux company (including Canonical), developer and user is a hater in your opinion? What about Linux users who use Solaris, FreeBSD, Windows and OS X? Are they somehow different? Are they half Linux half FreeBSD/Solaris/Windows/OS X haters?

Comment

So, every Linux company (including Canonical), developer and user is a hater in your opinion? What about Linux users who use Solaris, FreeBSD, Windows and OS X? Are they somehow different? Are they half Linux half FreeBSD/Solaris/Windows/OS X haters?
              I never said EVERY, nowhere did I label the whole community as such, only portions of it, very loud and self entitled portions of it. Quote me if you can where I labeled the whole Linux community as hating.

Comment

Linux community to me is anyone who value source code more than binary build of the same source code... of course preferably builded upon different base Let this stright - we are all forked and forking is nature of so called Linux community

Basically we will have 300 times exponantially less problems at bare minimum if we have only one distro instead of 300... but nature of forking is stronger, so that is about it

Comment

By calling me a moron and telling me to shut up, you just proved my point about the toxicity of one part of the Linux community, congratulations genius.
                  I'm also living on Earth, so according to your logic toxicity is one of the parts of Earth community. And.. you belong to Earth as well! Congratulations!

Ps. it seems you also belong to Linux community, so you just killed logic completely.

Comment

I'm also living on Earth, so according to your logic toxicity is one of the parts of Earth community. And.. you belong to Earth as well! Congratulations!

Ps. it seems you also belong to Linux community, so you just killed logic completely.
                    Wow straw man arguments, the last resort when somebody has no way of proving his point with hard evidence. We are not talking about Earth, we are talking about Linux community. I didnt kill any logic because I NEVER said the whole of Linux community is toxic, only portions of it, once again quote me if you can where I labeled the whole Linux community as toxic. You cant because I never said that, but by all means continue with your brilliant logic and straw man arguments.

Comment

I never said EVERY, nowhere did I label the whole community as such, only portions of it, very loud and self entitled portions of it. Quote me if you can where I labeled the whole Linux community as hating.
                      You're starting to understand. If you agree not entire community is bad, so what's your freaking point? You earlier said:

Bullshit is on you, I am talking about Linux users in Linux community and what they think about each other and various Linux projects, what they think about non Linux companies is irrelevant, learn to read with understanding.
                      It was your reply to my comment where I said it's the same with ANY other community. You won't censor every user out there, so what's your freaking point? There are bad and goods projects and bad projects have to be criticized. It's such simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X