Ubuntu To Abandon Unity 8, Switch Back To GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amp3030 View Post

First, I'm not anti-GNOME. How can I be anti anything that is licensed under GPL?

But to your point: this is the list of Unity shortcuts for window management:

https://iffcloud.fz-juelich.de/index...D6kCuMObjWR0it

I use every single of these shortcuts constantly, and they are central to my desktop productivity. This is what I sorely miss in GNOME.
    You can change all of those shortcuts in GNOME (at least for all of the features it has in common with Unity). And you can use extensions like Dash to Dock to have a Unity-like dock exposed all of the time and configure the right shortcuts for that as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by cynical View Post
      I knew it. That's what it's been this whole time: jealousy. Unfuckingbelievable. I don't know if it's Gnome users or the Linux community in general, but you people are disgusting. I can't imagine why any developer would want to work in an environment like this, where doing anything different is attacked for such petty reasons.
      Eh, what? I'm not even a GNOME user, and this has nothing to do with jealousy. It has everything to do with fragmentation. Ubuntu is the most popular distribution, whether anyone wants it or not. Experimenting is fine and nice, but you don't experiment in what is effectively the ambassador of Linux to the outside world. If Canonical had continued the Ubuntu Netbook Remix with Unity, that would have been great! You can use Mir in it too, nobody will mind. Just don't put it all in the flagship Ubuntu itself, because by doing so, you are deceiving others about what is standard in GNU/Linux. Ubuntu is the main support target of most software and games, so basing it on technologies that are incompatible with all other distributions makes it harder for either developers to make it work elsewhere, or harder for users to run the software because the developers didn't care to use vendor-neutral technology.

That said, one good thing to come out of the whole Unity situation is libappindicator, which finally, finally killed those terrible X11 systray icons.

Comment

• Originally posted by killyou View Post

That's what I was about to say. What's the difference anyway, they will be using Wayland after couple of broken releases.
        That's what I said exactly 2 weeks ago in the comment to this article: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...-support-miral

Apparently I was wrong, they won't use Mir at all I hope I don't have to mention that I was called a troll.

If it comes to Gnome 3 I think that's the best DE out there although there are few quirks. I tried to convert since the beginning of it's existence but it just started being usable for me since around 3.14-3.16. I wish they changed that outdated adwaita theme and maybe grab few ideas from Deepin DE. Gnome is also the reason why I'm using Fedora more and more. It became dependable and consistently good.
        Last edited by killyou; 06 April 2017, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• Whatever all the ranting egoistic idiots will say, this is a very sad day.

I don't care if anyone doesn't like Unity, you can just use anything else (with my absolute respect) instead of pouring hatred based on own subjective tiny mini uninteresting point of view.

I've been using Unity only at home for the past 5 ½ years, and I've loved it since the beginning. This has been the most adapted to my workflow eversince, and although I've tried to customize Gnome with extensions (half of them are not even working though), I've never been able to get it to a point where I would have a similar workflow. I'm quite shocked/pissed right now at the perspective of losing efficiency in my daily use, and have to change to another DE, which as wonderful as they are won't have me as productive as I can be.

I hope they will at least have the decency to make the indicators compatible.

And no, sorry, I don't want to be stuck at 16.04 for 5 years either, it will require way too much tinkering to make it usable (CIK_enabled kernel, up-to-date ppas usually only support the last LTS, ...)

I might give more space to my Manjaro install as well, if it is Gnome for Gnome why not change completely in the end?

As for the bq tablet, it won't get any more apps or features now, I will be flashing it with Android next weekend.

As an extra point, how can I get wobbly windows with Gnome (either with X now and with wayland tomorrow)? Can I install Compiz anyhow on Gnome?

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

So you mean LXQt?
            Actually LXQt is a good desktop! At least we have some sanity here.

Comment

• Whatever all the ranting egoistic idiots will say, this is a very sad day.

I don't care if anyone doesn't like Unity, you can just use anything else (with my absolute respect) instead of pouring hatred based on own subjective tiny mini uninteresting point of view.

I've been using Unity only at home for the past 5 ½ years, and I've loved it since the beginning. This has been the most adapted to my workflow eversince, and although I've tried to customize Gnome with extensions (half of them are not even working though), I've never been able to get it to a point where I would have a similar workflow. I'm quite shocked/pissed right now at the perspective of losing efficiency in my daily use, and have to change to another DE, which as wonderful as they are won't have me as productive as I can be.

I hope they will at least have the decency to make the indicators compatible.

And no, sorry, I don't want to be stuck at 16.04 for 5 years either, it will require way too much tinkering to make it usable (CIK_enabled kernel, up-to-date ppas usually only support the last LTS, ...)

I might give more space to my Manjaro install as well, if it is Gnome for Gnome why not change completely in the end?

As for the bq tablet, it won't get any more apps or features now, I will be flashing it with Android next weekend.

As an extra point, how can I get wobbly windows with Gnome (either with X now and with wayland tomorrow)? Can I install Compiz anyhow on Gnome?

This is a real shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anvil View Post

got a source link for that or are you just trolling
                2011: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/p...opular-desktop

2014: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/10/u...survey-results

Search engines are such useful things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  [...]

This is a real shame.
                  I thought for a second you were serious but then you mentioned wobbly windows.

Originally posted by A-Singh View Post
                  Asking for a DE of choice on the site devoted to a distribution with Unity as default is retarded. I doubt Unity would be #1 on "omgfedora" or "omgarch".

Comment

• Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You can change all of those shortcuts in GNOME (at least for all of the features it has in common with Unity). And you can use extensions like Dash to Dock to have a Unity-like dock exposed all of the time and configure the right shortcuts for that as well.
                    Exactly. Not many. Please show me how can I (switch between apps)/(launch an app) without mouse clicks or Alt-Tab iteration, but simply by pressing a fixed key binding associated with that app. In Unity: Super+Number. For example, Super+2 for Firefox, Super+7 for evince.

Comment

• Originally posted by killyou View Post

Asking for a DE of choice on the site devoted to a distribution with Unity as default is retarded. I doubt Unity would be #1 on "omgfedora" or "omgarch".
                      Fun fact-there is no Unity on Fedora so they cant vote for it at all, there is a port on Arch Linux, but it is far from perfect and doesnt have too many users so your comment is pointless. Another fun fact is that people on omgubuntu.co.uk do NOT all use Unity, if you bothered to read comments on that site you would see that.

Comment

Working...
                      X