Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI 2.1 Announced: Looking Ahead To Dynamic HDR, 8K@60Hz, Variable Refresh Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Yeah, they should do 8K 120 fps videos that nobody can watch

Hardware companies would like people to buy new hardware on every next movie and on every next game... but things just does not work that way for majority
    I was talking about filming at the highest resolution and framerate as possible. They can downscale it and downframe it afterwards for the majority and release it at full resolution and framerate at a later date when the hardware catches up.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      Personally I'm waiting for (at least) 4K screens with Freesync2. The best would be if FreeSync2 made it into the mandatory part of DP spec.
      Amen to that. I'm waiting for a proper 50'' or so 4k screen though so I have the same ppi so I'll be actually able to use the higher resolution for more stuff instead of wasting it by scaling up things so I can see them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        My opinion is that people are just stupid into believing that crap that Hollywood are pushing, like the eye can't see so many FPS or the soap-opera crap.
        People should look at 60 FPS videos and trailers on Youtube ans see how good they look.
        No, people actually reacted badly to high-fps movies like the Hobbit. http://www.vulture.com/2012/12/criti...rame-rate.html
        I assume that it is just because it looks different so dumb cows get scared and run away, or because the Hobbit sucked big way.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          This will be good for VR, now if your making a 4k VR helmet, put HDMI2.1 on it and at least a 90hz 4k screen!!!!
          Huh? DP is capable of this, IIRC. With USB alternate-mode, you are looking at a 1-cable solution. So, why HDMI ?

The biggest problem I have with HDMI is its patent-encumbered situation. That's not the only one.

The one I have with DP is the lack of a CEC-like standard.

Either way, we will need 16k@120Hz+ if we want realistic HMDs. With HDR, of course.

birdie , I do not really understand your post on the first page. Nobody mentioned HDCP before you.

Comment

I did not notice anything when youtubers switched from 30 to 60 fps. But i can notice it in video games as low fps also gives me headaches...

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
              I did not notice anything when youtubers switched from 30 to 60 fps. But i can notice it in video games as low fps also gives me headaches...
              you mean youtubers filming real-life stuff or games? Because filming real-life stuff is good enough even at 30-ish fps due to real motion blur being involved. Games suck at realistic motion blur so they either spam high fps or you see the frames.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                you mean youtubers filming real-life stuff or games? Because filming real-life stuff is good enough even at 30-ish fps due to real motion blur being involved. Games suck at realistic motion blur so they either spam high fps or you see the frames.
                Nop. Video games and even Twitch streamers. Dont notice much for some reason.

Comment

Any signs of a 3D@4k spec being released? I'm torn between watching films in 4K or 3D@1080p :'-(

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I was talking about filming at the highest resolution and framerate as possible. They can downscale it and downframe it afterwards for the majority and release it at full resolution and framerate at a later date when the hardware catches up.
                    That is fine someone might do it in future, but you shouldn't take Big Buck Bunny as example as that is animation movie which isn't originally done 4K nor any 60 fps... only Sunflower version did that many years after.

Do you know that they needed 3 calendar years to rerender Sunflower to make these 4K 60 fps versions? Further to note, that is only short 10 minute product, we can only guess what time would be needed for full length movies of the same quality

Now probably someone better understand why i laughing on 8K @ 120 fps
                    Last edited by dungeon; 05 January 2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I think there is no such thing as upcoming AMD 4K cards, as even Polaris hardware was capable of 5K... altough i am not sure drivers enable it for every product, maybe only for workstation products or Macs with some weird non standard connectors/cables or so .

And about Terrascale, fglrx still support these or should I say it is supported if you or your distro supports fglrx , GL4 is there, blah, blah... as i see this guy use flgrx and still play games just fine:

What he uses there... Mageia, so install that or install Debian 8 Stable, drivers are there, it will be supported for next 3+ years more and play games on Terrascale as much as you want to, compatability is there since SteamOS is based on that... blah, blah.
                      I hope you understand that the performance required for general office productivity 4k is significantly lower than playing a modern game 4k@60fps. Polaris can do the first, but not so much the second, even a lot of cards from 2015 can output 4k for basic things with a regular Linux install.

I know you can run old hardware on an older kernel. The issue is they were complaining about support in the 4.10, 4.11 and later kernels with the new and improved open source stack. Some of them were even asking about Vulkan on that hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X