No announcement yet.

Microsoft Open-Sources PowerShell & Brings It To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this mean we no longer need to run it on top of the Windows command prompt? My biggest gripe with Powershell other than its mild verbosity is the awful environment that I need to run it in.

Comment

Literally the -ONLY- reason Powershell ever existed was to try and disenfranchise users from shells. MS figured that if they could design the clunkiest and most complicated shell they could possibly devise, those folks that have heard about the cool things shells can do would try powershell realize how clunky and overly complicated it is. MS's hope is that those disenfranchised powershell users would think it's an artefact of all shells. That's literally it's raison d'etre

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
        Microsoft is coming everywhere. Linux stays in its shell. Windows will win in the long term, even if it means integrating linux and calling windows.
        Until the kernel/non-user-space (excluding firmware) is open source, I won't be touching Windows with a 100 ft poll.

Comment

And what is the first thing they do?
          Taking ownership of the name of two existing UNIX/Linux commands:

They block use of the commonly used command line tools without providing even an attempt to offer the same functionality. They serve no purpose for PowerShell users but cause confusion and problems...

And even some people ask that are the Linux commands the ones who should change its name ( ! ).

This is fu***ing incredible.
          The real Microsoft is back, like when the old times with Bill.

I´m gonna wait for a keylogger to be added in PowerShell "A keylogger for PowerShell will be done for enhance my experience as a a script programmer, and we will transmit all your scripts to MS automatically".
          Hope the repositories for MS software be called "herpes for Linux".

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Literally the -ONLY- reason Powershell ever existed was to try and disenfranchise users from shells. MS figured that if they could design the clunkiest and most complicated shell they could possibly devise, those folks that have heard about the cool things shells can do would try powershell realize how clunky and overly complicated it is. MS's hope is that those disenfranchised powershell users would think it's an artefact of all shells. That's literally it's raison d'etre
            Not really.

The way I see it, MS saw value in an automation tool that could integrate tightly with the design of their OS and .NET platform and could help admins manage large farms of MS servers. Later on, as Desired State Configuration became a thing (think "servers are cattle, not pets"), MS figured that they might as well leverage PowerShell for this, given their existing investment in it.

But you already knew that, didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by jpp650 View Post

They block use of the commonly used command line tools without providing even an attempt to offer the same functionality. They serve no purpose for PowerShell users but cause confusion and problems...

And even some people ask that are the Linux commands the ones who should change its name ( ! ).
              I would not say that, this is rather dirty set of jobs happening in that thread. I can only assume that it was something that wasn't planed with a Linux port in mind, and they are shaking out how to change that now as they has mostly done said port. I highly doubt that it is the only thing in PowerShell like that, simply because the CLI shell was based on windows cmd for so long.

But the reality of this is, if they are serious about the port (which is considered alpha) then change will happen. And if they take the time, it will be the right change.
              I would not expect that to happen over night.

Comment

Originally posted by jpp650 View Post

This is fu***ing incredible.
                The real Microsoft is back, like when the old times with Bill.
                So, the reason for taking over the aliases is because those aliases are made on Windows. Preserving them within PowerShell makes sense, because that prevents scripts from breaking. Microsoft has always been about compatibility, and few OS vendors have ever approached the consistent backwards compatibility that Microsoft has with Windows.

But, it is going to change. I don't know if you noticed, but Jeffrey Snover, inventor and chief architect of PowerShell, is in the comments, talking about the need to change. If you seriously think those aliases are an attempt to Microsoft to somehow subvert the Linux environment, well, the word "delusional" comes to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                  Linux is coming everywhere. Windows stays in corporate PCs and servers. Linux will win in the long term, even if it means integrating Windows and calling Winbuntu.
                  fixed

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Literally the -ONLY- reason Powershell ever existed was to try and disenfranchise users from shells.
                    You clearly never used windows stock shell or made a .bat (a windows shell script)

Powershell is L-O-V-E-D by those poor souls that had to live with windows stock shell until then.

Comment

Guys, could someone give me some clear information about some of the things.

Powershell now being on Linux. I have really no real reason to use PowerShell for Linux managing and such. I have been using Ubuntu since 2008 and tried other distro´s and i cannot live without bash. My only mistake was that i did not sooner made the step from Windows to Linux distro´s.

1. Is it now possible to use PowerShell to manage things on a Windows Server? Because i have a Windows Server running in VirtualBox(daemon) for WDS purposes fixing computers of friends(which are running Windows) and such. Just like how you would ssh to another Linux system and do your thing, but in this case Power Shell to a Windows Server FROM A LINUX DISTRO and do those things.

2. Power Shell being open sourced, would it be possible to have that code being CLEANED and ported as some sort of plugin, you could install within bash. So instead of opening Power Shell, you open a sort of a ¨container¨ within bash that is Power Shell environment. Why do i ask this? I do not trust MS software, because i always get problems with it, getting me nothing but headaches. The only credit i give to MS is for Ms Office, Visio, Project products. So it is the question if they EVER would port those also to Linux. If that happens, then they have regained a little bit more of my trust.

3. What do they think they will get from it? Is it purely based on those poor guys who are afraid of commands and their job required them to LEARN Power Shell and now they can manage Linux environment with Power Shell? because back then people were allergic to CLI. Also the core of Linux is based on CLI, how can they come with Power Shell and Power Shell being able to do ALL of the commands and possibilities you can do in bash? I mean have they really managed to create something in few years, which Linux has took more then 3 decades? Because i am being very skeptical.

4. I read a comment which said that Power Shell is being something between bash and python. I have never learned python, is it that recommend that i also should start learning python?

Comment

Working...
                      X