FSF Issues Fresh Statement Over ZFS On Linux With GPL Enforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gondur View Post
    That's a general property of copyleft: they prevent by their nature sub-licensing and are therefore inherently incompatible with everything which adds restrictive terms beyond their own. The GPLv3 and Apache 2.0 were made compatible by having the same restrictive terms. Permissive licenses are compatible with GPL as they not introduce new restrictive terms with an copyleft license, not as the GPL is compatible. (The GPL does nothing for license comaptiblity)
    Sure. But I can understand reasoning behind GPLv3. If some wrenches are finding loopholes in original license and starting to "work it around", it could be unacceptable, so it is reasonable there should be license to deal with it. We have to "thank" treacherous DRM-infested fucks for GPLv3 appearance. They've refused to play fair, so it have to be fixed. There is no obvious way to both keep compatibility and achieve desired goal. Yet I would agree GPLv3 is a sharp, double-edged sword. One have to be careful when using it. But somehow I've got idea I need such tool to keep DRM infested wrenches out.

About the CDDL, irocibcally it is not an exotic license but an member of the MPL family,
    I would really hard time to remember anyone except Sun using it. So I do not give fuck who has "approved" it, it just unused in real world. As simple as that. Granted it also incompatible with tons of pre-existing GPL software, it clearly ill-designed and out of luck.

which was started to address some of the GPL problems.
    Sure, Sun had some prob's with GPLed Linux: they were unable to vendor-lock everyone on Sun. But I do not need or want it to get "fixed".

In fact the CDDL is MORE compatible with other, also copyleft, licenses than the GPL
    That's how marketing BS looks like. GPL has been there for ages, way before CDDL has appeared. There're tons of GPLed software I use and value. If sun is not ok with it, they've better to GTFO. And I'm not a big fan of freedom of some greedy fucks to (ab)use apache/bsd/mit to close source and do nasty DRM shit, etc. So speaking for myself, I do not get a point of CDDL at all.

(weak copyleft due to per file license possibilty and ). That was the very reason why the FSF fought the CDDL from the very beginning with "GPL incompatibly" FUD until to day. To prevent the adoption of the CDDL and kill this competitor in the field of copyleft licenses early enough.
    Somehow, I like how GPL performs and I like goals of FSF: share the software and keep everyone equal in the process. I fail to see Sun pursuing same bold goal. Somehow I'm not okay with being second-class citizen, and GPL liceneses are good in making sure everyone is a first-class citizen, not somehow else.

And they were quite successful, the CDDL was after that FUD campaign not selected anymore by many projects and you called it even "excotic".... *sigh*
    GPLed software has been pre-existing for ages, and if Sun has elected to disregard it, it is their fault. Speaking for myself, I both rely on ton of GPLed software and I also think FSF's goal is a good idea. Therefore I do not need "fix" for things which aren't broken to my taste. So I wish CDDL good luck, but I do not get why I may need or want this GPL-incompatible thing. GPL incompatibility surely warrants my middle finger, any day. So, sure, FSF were quite successful. Neither they seek to pad corporate interests, nor they seek for profit, nor they spread treachery. This makes 'em quite appealing for those who has got working brain and could evaluate evolution of algos one step further. Furthermore, it also proven to work reasonably in real world, unlike Sun did. To make it more fun, GPL licenses are a self-spreading algo, which isn't designed to loose. If at least some human beings are thinking it has got a point, it puts self into very advantageous position, unlike many others. I think it is really remarkable invention XD.

At least Linux and GCC have kicked the ass, putting end to miserable state of things where proprietary programs were dominating world with no good ways around. These two have literally liberated software. Sun can't admit similar achievement and therefore is no match. Have fun writting better, CDDL-licensed kernels and toolchains if you're getting the point of doing so. But somehow I never seen FSF pursuing commercial goals. Sun did and it heavily biased what they do in their own favor. I wish 'em GL with this approach (erm, sorry for kicking their dead body).

Comment

Working...
    X